Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove the boundary of rationals is real

1. Aug 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]Q[/tex] be the set of all rational numbers
    Prove [tex]bd(Q)=R[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let x be a real number, then since the interval |x-r| contains both rationals and irrationals for arbitrary small r, so R is the boundary of Q. Is that right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Slow down a bit. What, exactly, is the definition of "boundary" and "boundary point". If you can answer that you should be able to answer your own question. (I might point out that, strictly speaking, |x-r| is not an interval, it is a number! You mean either the interval (x-r, x+r) or the set {y| |x-y|< r}.)

4. Aug 13, 2007 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would assume that
    • The boundary is the closure minus the interior
    • A point is in the closure if every epsilon-ball around it has non-empty intersection with the set
    • A point is in the interior if there is an epsilon-ball which fits entirely in the set

From these definitions it is quite straightforward to prove what the boundary of |R is, given (or proven) that the rationals are dense.

So kekido, your idea is right, but if you want to do it rigorously you should put a little more work into it (show that it satisfies the definitions yadayada andsoforth).

5. Aug 13, 2007 #4
    Ok, here "boundary" is the set of all boundary points, i.e., [tex]\partial(Q)=R[/tex]

You're right, the interval should be like what you said. I was being sloppy here.

Since the boundary point is defined as for every neighbourhood of the point, it contains both points in S and [tex]S^c[/tex], so here every small interval of an arbitrary real number contains both rationals and irrationals, so [tex]\partial(Q)=R[/tex] and also [tex]\partial(Q^c)=R[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook