1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the boundary of rationals is real

1. Aug 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]Q[/tex] be the set of all rational numbers
    Prove [tex]bd(Q)=R[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let x be a real number, then since the interval |x-r| contains both rationals and irrationals for arbitrary small r, so R is the boundary of Q. Is that right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Slow down a bit. What, exactly, is the definition of "boundary" and "boundary point". If you can answer that you should be able to answer your own question. (I might point out that, strictly speaking, |x-r| is not an interval, it is a number! You mean either the interval (x-r, x+r) or the set {y| |x-y|< r}.)
  4. Aug 13, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would assume that
    • The boundary is the closure minus the interior
    • A point is in the closure if every epsilon-ball around it has non-empty intersection with the set
    • A point is in the interior if there is an epsilon-ball which fits entirely in the set

From these definitions it is quite straightforward to prove what the boundary of |R is, given (or proven) that the rationals are dense.

So kekido, your idea is right, but if you want to do it rigorously you should put a little more work into it (show that it satisfies the definitions yadayada andsoforth).
  5. Aug 13, 2007 #4
    Ok, here "boundary" is the set of all boundary points, i.e., [tex]\partial(Q)=R[/tex]

You're right, the interval should be like what you said. I was being sloppy here.

Since the boundary point is defined as for every neighbourhood of the point, it contains both points in S and [tex]S^c[/tex], so here every small interval of an arbitrary real number contains both rationals and irrationals, so [tex]\partial(Q)=R[/tex] and also [tex]\partial(Q^c)=R[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?