Prove the quadratic formula

In summary, the conversation discusses using the quadratic formula to find the roots of a polynomial in a field F. It provides a version of the formula and hints for proving it. Part (a) states that if there is a specific value k in F that satisfies a certain condition, then the roots of the polynomial can be found using the quadratic formula. Part (b) states that if there is no such value k, then the polynomial has no roots in F. Part (c) asks to use the quadratic formula to factor a specific polynomial in Z/pZ and provides a list of primes to use. The conversation also mentions some confusion and a request for help.
mathmajor2013
Let F be a field. Suppose f(x)=ax^2+bx+c is an element of F[x] with (2a) a unit in F, and set delta=b^2-4ac. Prove the following version of the quadratic formula. Hint: for (a) and (b) use the identity 4a x f(x)=(2ax+b)^2-delta.

(a) If there is a k in F such that k^2=delta, then (-b plus or minus k)/(2a) are roots of f(x).

(b) If there is no k in F such that k^2=delta, then f(x) has no roots in F.

(c) Use the quadratic formula to factor 3x^2+2x+5 in (Z/pZ)[x] into irreducibles for primes p in {7,11,13,23}.

I have no idea how to do this one. I started with part (c), by factoring these things. Then I tried to figure out k for these, and it gave roots that were completely different than the ones I got when I factored, which has confused me more. Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (a) should be really easy. How can you tell whether f(x)=0 when x=(-b plus or minus k)/(2a)?

1. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical equation used to find the roots or solutions of a quadratic equation, which is an equation in the form of ax2 + bx + c = 0.

2. How do you prove the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula can be proven using the method of completing the square or by deriving it from the general form of a quadratic equation. Both methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable x and solving for it.

3. Why is the quadratic formula important?

The quadratic formula is important because it provides a quick and accurate way to find the roots of a quadratic equation. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or determining the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function.

4. Can the quadratic formula be used for all quadratic equations?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used to find the roots of any quadratic equation, regardless of the values of a, b, and c. This makes it a very versatile and valuable tool in solving quadratic problems.

5. How does the quadratic formula relate to the discriminant?

The discriminant is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root sign (b2 - 4ac). It represents the nature and number of solutions of a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, the equation has two distinct real roots. If it is zero, the equation has one real root. And if it is negative, the equation has no real roots, only complex solutions.