Time Invariance of f_n for Quasi-Linear PDE Boundary Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a quasi-linear PDE and its solution, with a particular boundary condition. The goal is to obtain a differential equation for a specific function, f_n, which is shown to be time invariant for all n = 1, 2, 3,.... By using integration by parts, it is shown that the differential equation for f_n is given by ##\frac{df_n}{dt}=n^2F(t)##, where F(t) is a function dependent only on time. Additionally, it is shown that ##f_n## is also equal to zero, making the overall equation ##\frac{d f_{n}}{dt}=0##.
Wuberdall

Homework Statement

let y(x, t) be a solution to the quasi-linear PDE
[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial t} + y\frac{\partial y}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]
with the boundary condition
[tex]y(0, t) = y(1, t) = 0[/tex]
show that
[tex]f_n(t) = \int_0^1 y^n\,\mathrm{d}x[/tex]
is time invariant for all n = 1, 2, 3,...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By differentiation under the integral sign i obtain
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t}f_n(t) = \int_0^1ny^{n-1}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}\,\mathrm{d}x \\
= -n\int_0^1y^n\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\,\mathrm{d}x \\
= -n\underbrace{[y^{n+1}]_0^1}_{=0} + n^2\int_0^1y^n\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\,\mathrm{d}x[/tex]
where the last equality in valid by integration by parts.

My goal was to obtain a differential equation for f_n.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I don't understand why at the end it is ## n^2\int_{0}^{1}y^n\frac{\partial y}{\partial x} dx## instead of ##n^2\int_{0}^{1}y^n dx=n^2f_{n}##

Ssnow said:
Hi, I don't understand why at the end it is ## n^2\int_{0}^{1}y^n\frac{\partial y}{\partial x} dx## instead of ##n^2\int_{0}^{1}y^n dx=n^2f_{n}##
Because,
[tex] \int_0^1 y^n\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\mathrm{d}x = [y^{n+1}]_0^1 - \int_0^1 ny^{n-1}\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\,y\,\mathrm{d}x[/tex]
as
[tex]\int fg^\prime = fg - \int f^\prime g[/tex]

ok sorry I lost a term deriving... yes it is no easy to find the form ##f_{n}## for a possible equation. The fact is that ##f_{n}## depends only by the time and also the quantity ##F=\int_{0}^{1}y^{n}(x,t)\frac{\partial y(x,t)}{\partial x}dx ## is a function only of the time, so you equation will be

## \frac{df_{n}}{dt}=n^2F(t)##

Hi, but if you can think ##y^n\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}=\frac{1}{n+1}\frac{\partial y^{n+1}}{\partial x}## you have that the integral will be:

##\frac{n^2}{n+1}[y(1,t)^{n+1}-y(0,t)^{n+1}]=0##

so your equation is ##\frac{d f_{n}}{dt}=0##

FAQ: Time Invariance of f_n for Quasi-Linear PDE Boundary Conditions

What is time invariance?

Time invariance is a property of a system that remains unchanged over time. This means that the behavior of the system does not depend on when it is observed or measured.

How do you prove time invariance?

To prove time invariance, you must show that the system's behavior remains unchanged when the input signal is shifted in time. This can be done by comparing the output of the system with the original input and the input shifted in time.

Why is time invariance important in science?

Time invariance is important in science because it allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of systems over time. It also helps to simplify the analysis of complex systems by allowing us to break them down into smaller, time-invariant components.

What are some examples of time-invariant systems?

Examples of time-invariant systems include physical laws such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy, as well as electrical circuits and chemical reactions.

What are the implications of a system not being time-invariant?

If a system is not time-invariant, it means that its behavior changes over time, making it difficult to predict and understand. This can be problematic in fields such as engineering, where precise and consistent results are necessary.

Back