Prove Total Kinetic Energy of a Rotating System about 3 Axes

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter pardesi
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
pardesi
Messages
337
Reaction score
0
how does one prove this
if a system is rotating about three different perpendicular axes then
total kinetic energy of the system is
[tex]T=\frac{I_{x}\omega_{x}^{2}}{2} + \frac{I_{y}\omega_{y}^{2}}{2}+\frac{I_{z}\omega_{z}^{2}}{2}[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the body as a set of particles.

[tex]T = \frac{1}{2}\iiint \rho (\dot x^2 + \dot y^2 + \dot z^2) dx\,dy\,dz[/tex]

Then write the translational velocity at (x,y,z) in terms of the rotation velocities and the position (the 3-D version of [tex]v = r\omega[/tex]).

Rearrange the result and the integrals that define [tex]I_x[/tex] etc will appear.
 
well, in general you'll find:
[tex] T=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i,j}I_{ij}\omega_i\omega_j[/tex]
then you can change coordinates to diagonalize the I tensor... or, if you made a good choice to begin with the tensor will already be diagonal giving you the expression you want.
 
AlephZero said:
...(the 3-D version of [tex]v = r\omega[/tex]).
I.e.
[tex] \vec v = \vec \omega \times \vec r[/tex]
or
[tex] v_i = \epsilon_{ijk}\omega_j r_k[/tex]

And use the definition
[tex] I_{ij}=\int\rho\left(<br /> r^2\delta_{ij}-r_ir_j<br /> \right)[/tex]
 
pardesi said:
how does one prove this
if a system is rotating about three different perpendicular axes then
total kinetic energy of the system is
[tex]T=\frac{I_{x}\omega_{x}^{2}}{2} + \frac{I_{y}\omega_{y}^{2}}{2}+\frac{I_{z}\omega_{z}^{2}}{2}[/tex]
I think you can start with the given that:

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}I|\vec\omega|^2[/tex]

What is the square of the length of the vector [itex]\omega[/itex] in terms of the x, y and z components?

AM
 
Andrew Mason said:
I think you can start with the given that:

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}I|\vec\omega|^2[/tex]

What is the square of the length of the vector [itex]\omega[/itex] in terms of the x, y and z components?

AM

no. he can't start with that. Only in the special case of
[tex] I_x=I_y=I_z=I[/tex]