What is the total kinetic energy of the rod?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
ccarit3007
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Uniform rod rotates at axel. What is the total kinetic energy of the rod?

Homework Equations


deltaKrot = 1/2Iw^2
deltaKtrans = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I believe the rod has both rotational as well as translation energy because the rod is not rotating about its center of mass. I end up getting 1/2ML^2w^2+1/2Mv^2 which is not the answer choices. (The answer is B).
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 2.58.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 2.58.22 PM.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 5,928
Physics news on Phys.org
ccarit3007 said:
I believe the rod has both rotational as well as translation energy because the rod is not rotating about its center of mass.
You can view the rod as having both rotational KE about the center of mass and translational KE of the center of mass. Or you can view the rod as in pure rotation about the given axis. Your choice. Either way, the answer will be the same.

ccarit3007 said:
I end up getting 1/2ML^2w^2+1/2Mv^2 which is not the answer choices.
Two points: (1) How did you get that expression for the rotational KE? (2) Realize that ω and v are related. Express everything in terms of ω.