1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove two integrals are the same using U substitution

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a and b are positive numbers, show that [tex]\int_0^1 x^a*(1-x)^b\,dx = \int_0^1 x^b*(1-x)^a\,dx[/tex] using only U substitution.

2. Relevant equations
    Just U substitution and the given equation--I can't use multiplication rules or anything like that; otherwise it would be easy.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to set U=(1-x) and I end up with [tex]\int_0^1 (1-U)^a*(U)^B\,dx[/tex] for the right side, but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere. I know I somehow need to switch the places of the x and (1-x) but I can't seem to get around going in a circle and ending up with what I started with.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2
    Multiplication of real numbers is commutative, so

[tex]
    (1-U)^a*U^b=U^b*(1-U)^a
    [/tex]

Or does * denote something different from multiplication of real numbers?

If you let U = 1-x you also have dx=-dU. Morover your integration bounds change. You need to be more careful in applying the u substitution rule.

4. Nov 14, 2008 #3
    yeah I just realized that, thanks
    [tex]\int_1^0 (1-U)^a*(U)^b\,(-du) = \int_0^1 (1-U)^a*(U)^b\,(du)[/tex] but I still get stuck there. Why would switching the order of (U-1)a and Ub help?

5. Nov 14, 2008 #4
    Haven't you just shown

[tex]
    \int_0^1{x^a(1-x)^bdx}=\int_0^1{u^b(1-u)^adu}
    [/tex]
    ?

How does this relate to the original question you are asked to prove? Remeber, that it doesn't make a difference how you call the integration variable. x, u, whatever, it is only a label.

6. Nov 14, 2008 #5
    Oh. Wow. That makes sense!

Thanks a bunch!! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?