Prove two integrals are the same using U substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use U substitution to prove that \int_0^1 x^a*(1-x)^b\,dx = \int_0^1 x^b*(1-x)^a\,dx when a and b are positive numbers. It is shown that by setting U = 1-x and changing the integration bounds, the equation can be rearranged to match the original equation, proving the statement. The conversation also clarifies the use of * as multiplication and emphasizes that the integration variable is just a label.
v0id19

Homework Statement

If a and b are positive numbers, show that [tex]\int_0^1 x^a*(1-x)^b\,dx = \int_0^1 x^b*(1-x)^a\,dx[/tex] using only U substitution.

Homework Equations

Just U substitution and the given equation--I can't use multiplication rules or anything like that; otherwise it would be easy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to set U=(1-x) and I end up with [tex]\int_0^1 (1-U)^a*(U)^B\,dx[/tex] for the right side, but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere. I know I somehow need to switch the places of the x and (1-x) but I can't seem to get around going in a circle and ending up with what I started with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiplication of real numbers is commutative, so

[tex]
(1-U)^a*U^b=U^b*(1-U)^a
[/tex]

Or does * denote something different from multiplication of real numbers?

If you let U = 1-x you also have dx=-dU. Morover your integration bounds change. You need to be more careful in applying the u substitution rule.

If you let U = 1-x you also have dx=-dU. Morover your integration bounds change.
yeah I just realized that, thanks
[tex]\int_1^0 (1-U)^a*(U)^b\,(-du) = \int_0^1 (1-U)^a*(U)^b\,(du)[/tex] but I still get stuck there. Why would switching the order of (U-1)a and Ub help?

Haven't you just shown

[tex]
\int_0^1{x^a(1-x)^bdx}=\int_0^1{u^b(1-u)^adu}
[/tex]
?

How does this relate to the original question you are asked to prove? Remeber, that it doesn't make a difference how you call the integration variable. x, u, whatever, it is only a label.

Oh. Wow. That makes sense!

Thanks a bunch! :biggrin:

What is U substitution?

U substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals by substituting a new variable, u, for an expression within the integral. This allows for easier integration and can help prove that two integrals are equivalent.

When should U substitution be used?

U substitution is useful when the integrand contains a complex function or a nested function. It can also be used when the integrand contains a polynomial raised to a power.

How do you use U substitution to prove two integrals are the same?

To prove two integrals are the same using U substitution, you must first find a suitable substitution for the integrands. This typically involves letting u be equal to a function within the integrand. Then, you can use the chain rule to rewrite the integrands in terms of u. If the new integrands are equal, then the two original integrals are also equal.

What are the steps for using U substitution to prove two integrals are the same?

The steps for using U substitution to prove two integrals are the same are as follows:
1. Identify a suitable substitution for u
2. Rewrite the integrands in terms of u using the chain rule
3. Simplify the integrands to show that they are equal
4. Use the reverse substitution to rewrite the integrals back in terms of the original variable
5. Conclude that the two integrals are equivalent.

Are there any limitations to using U substitution to prove two integrals are the same?

Yes, there are limitations to using U substitution. It is not always possible to find a suitable substitution for u, and even if one exists, it may not always lead to a simpler integral. Additionally, this method may not work for more complex integrals or when integrating with respect to multiple variables.