Prove: (z̄ )^k=(z̄ ^k) for z≠0 when k is negative

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
shannon
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove that (z̄ )^k =(z̄ ^k) for every integer k (provided z≠0 when k is negative)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I let z=a+bi so, z̄ =a-bi
Then I plugged that into one side of the equation to get
(a-bi)^k
I was going to try to manipulate this to get [(a-bi)^k]
But I don't know where to go from here, or even what to do...
Please HELP!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
shannon said:

Homework Statement


Prove that (z̄ )^k =(z̄ ^k) for every integer k (provided z≠0 when k is negative)
This is a bit unclear. From the rest of your post, it looks as if by ̄ you meant the complex conjugation. So did you mean to write

[tex](z^*)^k = (z^{* k})[/tex] ??

But even this is unclear since most people would interpret the two sides to mean the same thing.

It would make more sense if the question was to prove

[tex](z^*)^k = (z^k)^*[/tex]

was that the question?


If so, then write the complex number z in polar form [itex]r e ^{i \theta}[/itex]
 
Is the bar over the z only in both parts? Or is it

[tex]\bar{z}^{k} = \bar{\left(z^k\right)}[/tex]
 
nrqed said:
This is a bit unclear. From the rest of your post, it looks as if by ̄ you meant the complex conjugation. So did you mean to write

[tex](z^*)^k = (z^{* k})[/tex] ??

But even this is unclear since most people would interpret the two sides to mean the same thing.

It would make more sense if the question was to prove

[tex](z^*)^k = (z^k)^*[/tex]

was that the question?


If so, then write the complex number z in polar form [itex]r e ^{i \theta}[/itex]


Yes, that is my question. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
So I rewrote z in polar form, but I wasn't sure about what the conjugate of that would be...would the exponent just be negated? (the iѲ term).
If that was the case, would I simply combine the exponents in the left side of the equation, multiplying the k and the iѲ term thus resulting in the right side of the equation?
I hope I'm being more clear!
 
shannon said:
Yes, that is my question. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
No problem!
So I rewrote z in polar form, but I wasn't sure about what the conjugate of that would be...would the exponent just be negated? (the iѲ term).
Yes. Complex conjugation just means that we replace any "i" we see by -i. So yes, the sign of the exponent changes.
If that was the case, would I simply combine the exponents in the left side of the equation, multiplying the k and the iѲ term thus resulting in the right side of the equation?
I hope I'm being more clear!
Exactly! Basically, k times (i)* gives the same thing as (k times i)*