Proving (1+x)^n approaches 1 + nx when x goes to zero

  • Thread starter Thread starter U.Renko
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Zero
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
U.Renko
Messages
56
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


I've heard this affirmation in an gravitation lecture. I thought it was interesting and decided to check it out. It turns out to be true so I decided to prove it.

I'm not a mathematician so proving stuff is not my department. Still I try to do some proofs just for fun. I hope I don't make your eyes bleed or something.


Homework Equations


[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} (1 + x)^n[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not sure if I should try prooving by epsilon-delta or by mathematical induction (if that is even possible)
I did try by mathematical induction but it didnt look convincing

How would you do it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\lim_{x \to 0} (1 + x)^n[/itex]

Apply binomial expansion to this equation and then the concept of limits.
 
Try Binomial Theorem.

While it is correct to say [itex]{(1+x)}^n \approx 1+nx[/itex] for sufficiently small x, the actual limit of the expression as x tends to zero is simply 1.
 
It's impossible to prove this until you rigorized what the statement means.

I think the best rigorous version of this statement is that y=1+nx is the tangent line of y=(1+x)n at the point x=0.

Or, it could mean

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{(1+x)^n-(1+nx)}{x}=0[/tex]

which means that the functions are equal up to first order.

Try to prove these two statements.