Proving this equation -- Limit of a sum of inverse square root terms

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
alsdt
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
calculate the limit of a phrase
Relevant Equations
limit
Hi
I was working on a physics problem and it was almost solved.
Only the part that is mostly mathematical remains, and no matter how hard I tried, I could not solve it.
I hope you can help me.
This is the equation I came up with and I wanted to prove it: $$\lim_{n \rightarrow+ \infty} { \sum_{i=1}^n \frac 1 {\sqrt{i(2n-i-1)} +\sqrt{i(2n-i)}}}=\frac \pi 4$$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?
Can you show some work?
What is the context? It might provide some insight.
 
Wolfram shows
211023.png


So you seem to be on right track.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK and robphy
As shown in post #4 you may transform the sum as
[tex]\sum_x \frac{\sqrt{1+x}-\sqrt{1+y}}{\sqrt{1-x}}[/tex]
where x = ##{0,\ 1/n,\ 2/n,\ ...\ , (n-1)\ /n}## and y= x - 1/n
, which is convenient for transformation to integral.
 
Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Wolfram shows
View attachment 291038

So you seem to be on right track.

anuttarasammyak said:
As shown in post #4 you may transform the sum as
[tex]\sum_x \frac{\sqrt{1+x}-\sqrt{1+y}}{\sqrt{1-x}}[/tex]
where x = ##{0,\ 1/n,\ 2/n,\ ...\ , (n-1)\ /n}## and y= x - 1/n
, which is convenient for transformation to integral.
Thanks for editing and adding details (like what y is).
On its own, Post #4 says that Wolfram shows [something], but it wasn't clear how or what is being shown.

Are you saying that Wolfram transformed the original series into what is shown in Post #4?
 
robphy said:
Are you saying that Wolfram transformed the original series into what is shown in Post #4?
No, I did it by myself in a usual way.
 
Last edited: