Proving a function is increasing

In summary, by using the definition of increasing, the Mean Value Theorem, and the derivative of f(x)/x, it can be proven that if f' is increasing on (0,1), then f(x)/x is also increasing on (0,1). This is shown through the use of the MVT and the contradiction that arises if f(x)/x is not increasing.
Bleys

Homework Statement

Suppose f is differentiable on [0,1] and that f(0)=0. Prove that if f' is increasing on (0,1) then f(x)/x is increasing on (0,1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried several things. I tried applying the definition of increasing on f', but I don't really get anywhere with that. I've used the Mean Value Theorem, but I'm not sure what to apply it to. I figured the interval (0,1) and I get there is a c in (0,1) such that f'(c)=f(1). I applied it again on the interval (0,c) to get another d such that f'(d)=f(c)/c. Since f' is increasing, then f(c)/c[tex]\leq[/tex]f(1)/1. I could apply it again and again for smaller and smaller intervals closer to 0, but I don't know how to prove it's increasing on the whole interval.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that f(x) = f(x) - f(0) and x = x - 0. Form the difference quotient and use the MVT.

Last edited:
f(x)/x increasing means (f(x)/x)'>=0. Suppose (f(x)/x)'<0 at some point x=c. Can you show that would lead to a contradiction using the MVT?

Then [tex](f(x)/x)' = \frac{xf'(x)-f(x)}{x^{2}}<0[/tex] for come c in (0,1) implies f'(c)<f(c)/c. But, by the MVT, on (0,c) there is a d such that f'(d)=f(c)/c. Since f' is increasing, [tex]f'(d)\leq f'(c) \Rightarrow f(c)/c<f(c)/c[/tex]. I hope this is the right contradiction. I was unsure whether the question meant strictly increasing or not, so I guess this answers it
I don't know why it never occurred to me to use the derivative of f(x)/x...
Thanks for the help!

Sure, that's the contradiction. You've got d<c, f(c)/c=f'(d) but f'(c)<f(c)/c. So f'(c)<f'(d). That's not increasing.

What does it mean for a function to be increasing?

A function is considered increasing if its output or value increases as the input or independent variable increases. In other words, as the x-values increase, the y-values also increase.

How can I prove that a function is increasing?

To prove that a function is increasing, you can use the definition of an increasing function which states that for any two points on the graph, if the x-value of the first point is less than the x-value of the second point, then the y-value of the first point must be less than the y-value of the second point. You can also use calculus methods such as the first derivative test or the second derivative test.

What are the key properties of an increasing function?

An increasing function has the property that its slope or rate of change is always positive. This means that the function is rising or moving upwards on a graph from left to right. Another key property is that there are no horizontal lines that intersect the graph more than once, meaning that the function is one-to-one.

Can a function be increasing and decreasing at the same time?

No, a function cannot be increasing and decreasing at the same time. This would violate the definition of an increasing function where the output or value must increase as the input or independent variable increases. However, a function can be constant, meaning that its value stays the same regardless of the input.

What are some real-life examples of increasing functions?

Some real-life examples of increasing functions include the growth of a population over time, the amount of money earned from a job with increasing hours worked, and the distance traveled by a car with increasing time. In each of these examples, the output or value (population, money earned, distance) increases as the input or independent variable (time, hours worked) increases.