1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a function is increasing

1. Jun 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose f is differentiable on [0,1] and that f(0)=0. Prove that if f' is increasing on (0,1) then f(x)/x is increasing on (0,1)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried several things. I tried applying the definition of increasing on f', but I don't really get anywhere with that. I've used the Mean Value Theorem, but I'm not sure what to apply it to. I figured the interval (0,1) and I get there is a c in (0,1) such that f'(c)=f(1). I applied it again on the interval (0,c) to get another d such that f'(d)=f(c)/c. Since f' is increasing, then f(c)/c[tex]\leq[/tex]f(1)/1. I could apply it again and again for smaller and smaller intervals closer to 0, but I don't know how to prove it's increasing on the whole interval.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2009 #2
    Remember that f(x) = f(x) - f(0) and x = x - 0. Form the difference quotient and use the MVT.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  4. Jun 25, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

f(x)/x increasing means (f(x)/x)'>=0. Suppose (f(x)/x)'<0 at some point x=c. Can you show that would lead to a contradiction using the MVT?

5. Jun 25, 2009 #4
    Then [tex](f(x)/x)' = \frac{xf'(x)-f(x)}{x^{2}}<0[/tex] for come c in (0,1) implies f'(c)<f(c)/c. But, by the MVT, on (0,c) there is a d such that f'(d)=f(c)/c. Since f' is increasing, [tex]f'(d)\leq f'(c) \Rightarrow f(c)/c<f(c)/c[/tex]. I hope this is the right contradiction. I was unsure whether the question meant strictly increasing or not, so I guess this answers it
    I don't know why it never occured to me to use the derivative of f(x)/x...
    Thanks for the help!

6. Jun 25, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, that's the contradiction. You've got d<c, f(c)/c=f'(d) but f'(c)<f(c)/c. So f'(c)<f'(d). That's not increasing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook