1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a Function is Rieman Integrable

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that
    f(x) = 1 x (element) E = {1/n : n (element) N}
    0 x (element) [0,1]\E
    is integrable on [0, 1] by using the definition of integrability

2. Relevant equations

Definition of Integrability: Let f be a bounded function. for each epsilon greater than 0 there exists a partition P such that. U(f,P)- L(f,P)< epsilon

3. The attempt at a solution

Fix [tex]\epsilon[/tex] >0

I think that for any partition P, L(f,P) is gunna be zero. Since mk will always be 0 for all k.

so all we need to do is find a partition P such that U(f,P) < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

i could be completely wrong up to this step, and even if im not, i don't know how to go about choosing P. HELP MEH PLZ!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2
    A partition of [0,1] may have the form {0,1/k,t_1,...,t_s = 1}. On [0,1/k] sup(f)=1. On [1/k,1] there are now only a finite number of elements for which f = 1, namely, x = 1,1/2,1/3,...,1/k. If you choose k large enough so that 1/k < [itex] \epsilon/2 [/itex] and you have a finite number of elements remaining for which f = 1, you need to make sure that the subintervals surrounding 1,...1/(k-1) can also have a total summed length < [itex] \epsilon/2 [/itex]. I leave the rest to you.

4. Jan 21, 2008 #3
    Ok im still having trouble with this.

from what i can tell the picture looks like this: http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE/Graph.jpg

Sorry for the crude drawing.

Anyways. so 1/k <epsilon/2

that means that the whole area from [0,1/k] must be < epsilon/2. I understand this and can write it out using sigma notation...

Now choosing the the intervals around the other parts are proving to be difficult for me. I know they have to sum up to be less than Epsilon/2.

So what i am thinking is that if we make the with of the partitions epsilon/k, that the maximum value of the area of the graph will also be epsilon/2. Is this correct?

5. Jan 21, 2008 #4
    Close. I think you want to make sure that the subintervals have length less than [itex] \epsilon/2k [/itex].

6. Jan 21, 2008 #5
    ya thats what i meant. Thank you sir.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?