Proving a limit is false when L does not equal 1

• Thread starter Whitishcube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the statement \lim \limits_{x \to \infty} (1+\frac{1}{x}) = L is false if L \neq 1 by negating the logical statement of the definition of a limit. The participants also consider using the limit law to break up the limit and discuss different approaches for manipulating the absolute value signs in the proof.
Whitishcube

Homework Statement

Show that if [itex]L \neq 1 [/itex], the statement [tex] \lim \limits_{x \to \infty} (1+\frac{1}{x}) = L [/tex] is false.

Homework Equations

The Definition of a Limit

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've been trying to prove this by negating the logical statement of the definition of a limit; i.e. by trying to prove that
[itex]\exists \epsilon > 0 [/itex] such that [itex]\forall \delta >0 \exists x > \delta [/itex] such that [itex]\left|f(x)-L\right|\geq \epsilon[/itex].
I know that when [itex]L=1[/itex] the limit exists; that is no trouble to prove. The problem is that every time i try to find an x that works, I can never make it work in my proof. Am I going about this the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the limit Law to break up your limit

Think about it this way. Suppose L > 1. Now you know how to get the function very close to 1, so you should be able to keep it away from L, no?. So think about what would happen if you choose epsilon half the distance from L to 1. And the case L < 1 is similar or you could combine them.

So if I choose [itex]\epsilon = \frac{L-1}{2}[/itex], I want to find an x that will give me [tex]\left|f(x)-L\right|=\left|1+\frac{1}{x}-L\right|=\epsilon=\frac{L-1}{2}.[/tex]

This is kind of where I'm stuck. I'm not sure what the best way to manipulate the absolute value sign. I know I can do it with either the triangle or reverse triangle inequality, but which would be the right direction to take? would it matter?

Use |L-1|/2, in case L < 1.

ok, so starting with [tex]\left|1+\frac{1}{x}-L\right|\geq\frac{\left| L-1 \right|}{2},[/tex]
I get
[tex]\left| 1 \right| + \left| \frac{1}{x} - L \right| \geq \frac{\left| L-1 \right|}{2} \text{(triangle inequality)}[/tex]

[tex]\left| \frac{1}{x} - L \right| \geq \frac{\left| L-1 \right|}{2} -1 = \frac{\left| L-1 \right|-\left|2\right|}{2} \geq \frac{\left| L-3 \right|}{2} \text{(reverse triangle ineq.)}[/tex]

So now I'm stuck here at
[tex] \left| \frac{1}{x} - L \right| \geq \frac{\left| L-3 \right|}{2} .[/tex]

I'm not too experienced with doing algebra with absolute value signs. Have I been doing it right so far?

1. How do you prove a limit is false when L does not equal 1?

To prove a limit is false when L does not equal 1, you must find a sequence of numbers that approaches a different limit, or no limit at all, when the input approaches the given value. This would indicate that the limit does not exist or is not equal to 1.

2. What tools or techniques can be used to prove a limit is false?

There are several methods that can be used to prove a limit is false. These include using the definition of a limit, using the Squeeze Theorem, using algebraic manipulation, and using graphical analysis.

3. Can a limit be false for one input value but true for others?

Yes, it is possible for a limit to be false for one input value but true for others. This is because the behavior of a function may differ at different input values, and the limit is only concerned with the behavior as the input approaches a specific value.

4. Is it possible for a limit to be false even if the function is continuous at that point?

Yes, it is possible for a limit to be false even if the function is continuous at that point. Continuity only ensures that the function has no sudden jumps or breaks at that specific point, but it does not guarantee the existence or value of a limit.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to prove a limit is false?

Some common mistakes to avoid when trying to prove a limit is false include using incorrect algebraic manipulations, assuming the limit exists without proper justification, and not considering all possible input values that may affect the limit. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its behavior before attempting to prove a limit is false.