Proving a real valued function does not exist

• Thread starter _N3WTON_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, it is shown that for \lambda > \frac{1}{2}, there does not exist a real-valued function u such that for all x in the closed interval 0 <= x <= 1, u(x) = 1 + \lambda\int_{x}^{1} u(y)u(y-x)\,dy. This is confirmed by considering the discriminant of the resulting quadratic equation.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

Show that if [itex] \lambda > \frac{1}{2} [/itex] there does not exist a real-valued function 'u' such that for all x in the closed interval [itex] 0 <= x <= 1 [/itex], [itex] u(x) = 1 + \lambda\int_{x}^{1} u(y)u(y-x)\,dy [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off by assuming that such a function does in fact exist, so:
[itex] u(x) = 1 + \lambda\int_{x}^{1}u(y)u(y-x)\,dy [/itex]
[itex] \lambda > \frac{1}{2} [/itex]
[itex] 0 <= x <= 1[/itex]
[itex] \mu = \int_{0}^{1} u(x)\,dx [/itex]
[itex] = \int_{0}^{1}\,dx + \int_{0}^{1}\int_{x}^{1} u(y)u(y-x) dy \hspace{1 mm} dx [/itex]
Here, I changed the order of integration:
[itex] = 1 + \lambda\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{y} u(y)u(y-x)dx \hspace{1 mm} dy [/itex]
[itex] = 1 + \lambda\int_{0}^{1}u(y)\int_{0}^{y}u(y-x)dx \hspace{1 mm} dy [/itex]
At this point I am a bit confused about where to go, so I am starting to think that perhaps I am not going in the right direction; I was hoping someone could give me some advice. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I worked on this for a quite a while last night before bed and I think I have a solution, hopefully someone can confirm/deny...I'll start where I left off above, where I take Y constant:
[itex] z = y - x [/itex]
[itex] dz = -dx [/itex]
[itex] \mu = 1 + \lambda\int_{0}^{1}u(y)\int_{y}^{0} u(z)(-dz)\,dy [/itex]
[itex] = 1 + \lambda\int_{0}^{1}u(y)\int_{0}^{y}u(z)dz\,dy [/itex]
[itex] {Let} \hspace{1 mm} f(y) = \int_{0}^{y} u(z)\,dz \hspace{2 mm} {then,} \hspace{2 mm} f'(y) = u(y), \hspace{1 mm} f(0)=0, \hspace{1 mm} f(1) = \mu [/itex]
[itex] \mu = 1 + \lambda\int_{0}^{1}f'(y)f(y)\,dy [/itex]
[itex] = 1 + \frac{\lambda {\mu}^2}{2} [/itex]
[itex] \lambda {\mu}^2 - 2\mu + 2 = 0 [/itex]
So now, if mu is going to exist, the discriminant of that quadratic cannot be negative:
[itex] 4 - 8\lambda >= 0 [/itex]
[itex] \lambda <= \frac{1}{2} [/itex]
-This contradicts the problem statement that [itex] \lambda > \frac{1}{2} [/itex]. Hence, it is confirmed that for [itex] \lambda > \frac{1}{2} [/itex] there does not exist [itex] u = 1 + \lambda\int_{x}^{1}u(y)u(y-x)\,dy[/itex].

Looks correct.

FAQ: Proving a real valued function does not exist

1. What does it mean to prove that a real valued function does not exist?

Proving that a real valued function does not exist means showing that there is no mathematical relationship or formula that can be used to describe the behavior of the function. In other words, there is no way to represent the function using numbers and variables.

2. How do you go about proving that a real valued function does not exist?

To prove that a real valued function does not exist, you must use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques such as contradiction, counterexample, or proof by induction. This involves carefully examining the properties and characteristics of the function and showing that they lead to a contradiction or an impossible scenario.

3. Can you provide an example of a real valued function that cannot be proven to exist?

Yes, a well-known example is the Riemann function, which is defined as the limit of a sequence of functions. While the individual functions in the sequence exist, the limit function does not have a closed form representation and therefore cannot be proven to exist.

4. What implications does proving that a real valued function does not exist have on mathematics?

Proving that a real valued function does not exist challenges our understanding and assumptions about mathematical concepts and can lead to new discoveries and developments in the field. It also highlights the importance of rigor and precision in mathematical reasoning and proof.

5. Is it possible to prove that a real valued function does not exist with absolute certainty?

No, it is not always possible to prove with absolute certainty that a real valued function does not exist. In some cases, a function may not be proven to exist or not exist due to limitations in our current understanding or techniques. However, disproving the existence of a function using logical reasoning and evidence can provide a high level of confidence in the result.

Back