1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a tautology using truth table

1. Feb 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ((p_r)^(q_r))<-->((p^q)_r) Prove whether the following statement is a tautology , contigency or contradiction using a truth table.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did the truth table, but this whole thing is one statement no? What do I compare? the first half of the bi conditional statement to the second? or the whole statement vs. the two halves? I don't know which to compare to decide whether or not it is a contingency.

EDIT: figured out the tautology is if L.H.S of <--> is equal to RHS. Sorry for the post!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2015 #2
    Just a question for you, what is ^ and _? In the logic courses I took, we used different symbols and I'm aware different schools/fields use different symbols so just wanted to know what yours are. Thanks :)

Btw I'm guessing ^ is conjunction and _ is disjunction?

4. Feb 3, 2015 #3
    Well I used ^ for conjunction ( so AND) and _ for inclusive or because I can't the the opposite of ^ :) ( it was my own guess)

5. Feb 3, 2015 #4
    Ah, alright :D If you click the sigma Σ button on the toolbar, there are many symbols to choose from including ∧ ∨ ⊃ ⋅ ∴

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted