Using Wolfram Alpha to Create Truth Tables for Logical Statements

In summary: First, create three columns that list every combination of true or false values that the variables Tet(a), Small(a), and Small(b) can have.Then, add a new column that lists the three possible combinations of these values that include Tet(a) ∧ Small(a).Finally, add a new column that lists the three possible combinations of these values that include (Tet(a) ∧ Small(a)) ∨ Small(b).
Myimposter

Homework Statement

[/B]
"Use the truth table method in Boole to determine whether the conclusion is a tautological consequence of the premises."

(Tet(a) ^ Small(a)) v Small(b)
------
Small(a) v Small(b)

Homework Equations

[/B]
Taller(claire,max) v Taller(max,claire)
Taller(claire,max)
--------
~Taller(max,claire)

Was set up like this and correct...

Taller(claire,max) | Taller(max,claire) [ ] Taller(claire,max) v Taller(max,claire) | Taller(claire,max) | ~Taller(max,claire)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am having trouble setting up the truth table.

Attachments

• IMG_0665(1).jpg
    IMG_0665(1).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0666(1).jpg
    IMG_0666(1).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 633
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Myimposter said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
"Use the truth table method in Boole to determine whether the conclusion is a tautological consequence of the premises."

------
Small(a) v Small(b)

Homework Equations

[/B]
Taller(claire,max) v Taller(max,claire)
Taller(claire,max)
--------
~Taller(max,claire)

Was set up like this and correct...

Taller(claire,max) | Taller(max,claire) [ ] Taller(claire,max) v Taller(max,claire) | Taller(claire,max) | ~Taller(max,claire)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am having trouble setting up the truth table.
Welcome to the PF.

Wowie, that notation is a bit foreign to me. What class is it from? It looks like it deals with the height of Claire and Max, but I'm having trouble parsing what you have posted.

Can you explicitly list each premise?

Can you explicitly indicate the conclusion?

What would the independent variables and the dependent variables be in the Truth Table?

Likes FactChecker
Thanks for the reply. The course is Intro to Symbolic Logic.
Basically, I need to make a Truth Table in a program called Boole.

------
Small(a) v Small(b)
kGJHZ6

h4PPE6

The image links don't seem to be working. Can you use the UPLOAD button in the lower right to upload PDFs or JPEG images that you want to post? Thanks.

The way I have it set up in the pic is incorrect.

Attachments

• IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 573
I also have questions about the problem. What is the definition of Tet, Small, Taller, and how is Taller relevant to the original problem statement of Tet and Small? None of this is standard terminology, so you should explain those terms and the problem.

If this problem needs specific knowledge of the program Boole, then can you give a reference to that program. I don't think it is well known.

PS. Please remember that we are not in the class you are in or reading the book that you are reading.

Myimposter said:
The way I have it set up in the pic is incorrect.
"So which is it young fella? if'n we get down on the floor, we'll be a movin', and if'n we don't move, we can't get down on the floor!"

Quiz Question #1 -- What movie is that from?:smile:

Quiz Question #2 -- What the heck are you asking, son? :smile:

Likes FactChecker
berkeman said:
"So which is it young fella? if'n we get down on the floor, we'll be a movin', and if'n we don't move, we can't get down on the floor!"

Quiz Question #1 -- What movie is that from?:smile:
Ha! Hint -- "Son, you've got a panty on your head."

Likes berkeman
Thank you very much for the replies. The "Taller max" problem i have correct, i was just mentioning it as a reference. I am including a pic of the Taller max question and solution. I need to know how to set up a truth table for..

------
Small(a) v Small(b)Thank you.

Attachments

• taller.jpg
    taller.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 632
I'm not familiar with Boole, so I will describe how it can be done by hand.

1) Start with 3 columns that have every possible combination of T and F for Tet(a), Small(a), and Small(b). There will be 8 rows, not counting the column headings. (Boole might auto-generate these columns for you. )
2) Add a column for Tet(a) ∧ Small(a)
3) Add a column for (Tet(a) ∧ Small(a)) ∨ Small(b)
4) Add a column for Small(a) ∨ Small(b)

Do you understand how use the table to tell if (Tet(a) ∧ Small(a)) ∨ Small(b) implies Small(a) ∨ Small(b)?

Last edited:
Likes Myimposter and berkeman
Factchecker, this is Awesome! I think it’s exactly what I needed to know. I won't be in fron of Boole until tonight to be sure but I've done it on paper and it looks pretty close! Ill let you know how it goes!

Attachments

• 5C0B3F9D-BF7A-4B57-888B-9610DF1ECE22.jpeg
    5C0B3F9D-BF7A-4B57-888B-9610DF1ECE22.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 591
Likes FactChecker
This has been SOLVED with the help of Factchecker.

Thanks man!

Likes FactChecker
Myimposter said:
"Use the truth table method in Boole
This technique is just called a truth table. It's confusing to say "in Boole".
Each row in a truth table lists one of the possible combinations of true or false (Boolean values) that a set of Boolean variables can have.
FactChecker said:
I'm not familiar with Boole
Refers to George Boole, after whom Boolean Algebra is named.

Mark44 said:
This technique is just called a truth table. It's confusing to say "in Boole".
Each row in a truth table lists one of the possible combinations of true or false (Boolean values) that a set of Boolean variables can have.
Refers to George Boole, after whom Boolean Algebra is named.
I assumed he was talking about the software program called Boole for truth table creation.

FactChecker said:
I assumed he was talking about the software program called Boole for truth table creation.
Didn't realize that there was such software. I didn't look at all of the attached images in this thread...

Just thought I'd mention that Wolfram Alpha will do truth tables for you.

Likes FactChecker

What is a truth table?

A truth table is a mathematical table used to determine the logical outputs of a logical expression based on the possible combinations of its inputs.

Why is it important to set up a truth table?

Setting up a truth table is important because it helps to analyze the logical relationships between different inputs and outputs, and can be used to determine the validity of an argument or statement.

How do you set up a truth table?

To set up a truth table, first identify all the variables in the logical expression. Then, create a table with columns for each variable and a row for each possible combination of inputs. Finally, fill in the table with the corresponding logical outputs for each input combination.

What are the basic rules for setting up a truth table?

The basic rules for setting up a truth table are to include a column for each variable, list the possible input combinations in rows, and fill in the table with the corresponding logical outputs. It is also important to follow the order of operations, with parentheses taking precedence over other logical operators.

What are some common mistakes when setting up a truth table?

Some common mistakes when setting up a truth table include not including all the variables in the expression, incorrect order of operations, and missing or incorrect logical operators. It is also important to check for duplicate rows, as this can affect the accuracy of the table.