Proving Algebra (Polynomials) Relationship Between Roots and Coefficients

In summary, the product of the sum of roots and sum of reciprocal of roots of a polynomial with degree n is always greater than or equal to n^2. This can be proven by showing that the case where all roots are equal to one is a minimum, which can be done by replacing one of the roots with 1 and using the inequality p+\frac{1}{p} \geq 2. This proof is applicable for all polynomials with real coefficients.
Prashant Jain
Prove that product of sum of roots and sum of reciprocal of roots of a polynomial with degree n is always greater than or equal to n2.

I tried the same on a polynomial of degree 4:

ax4+bx3+cx2+dx+e = 0

Let the roots be p, q, r, and s

The following equations show the relation of roots to the coefficients of the polynomial

p + q + r + s = -b/a

pq + qr + rs + sp + pr + qs = c/a

pqr + qrs + rsp + spq = -d/a

pqrs = e/a

I can't figure out the next steps... Please help :(

A general solution to the problem would be preferred...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that if all of the roots are one, then the product of the sum of the roots and the sum of the reciprocals of the roots is [itex] n^2 [/itex]. So if you can prove that the case of all ones is a minimum, then you are done. One way to show this would be to look at [tex] (r_1+r_2+r_3+...r_n)(\frac{1}{r_1}+\frac{1}{r_2}+\frac{1}{r_3}+...\frac{1}{r_n}) [/tex] and see what would happen if we replace one of the r's with 1. You can show that this will always decrease the product by noting that [tex] p+\frac{1}{p} \geq 2 [/tex] where p is positive (and the inequality is strict is p is not one).

HS-Scientist said:
Notice that if all of the roots are one, then the product of the sum of the roots and the sum of the reciprocals of the roots is [itex] n^2 [/itex]. So if you can prove that the case of all ones is a minimum, then you are done. One way to show this would be to look at [tex] (r_1+r_2+r_3+...r_n)(\frac{1}{r_1}+\frac{1}{r_2}+\frac{1}{r_3}+...\frac{1}{r_n}) [/tex] and see what would happen if we replace one of the r's with 1. You can show that this will always decrease the product by noting that [tex] p+\frac{1}{p} \geq 2 [/tex] where p is positive (and the inequality is strict is p is not one).

Sir, could the solution be a little more general?... i.e. to help me prove this property is universally applicable for all the polynomials with real coefficients.
How to explain that the case where all roots are equal to one is a minimum?

Prashant Jain said:
Sir, could the solution be a little more general?... i.e. to help me prove this property is universally applicable for all the polynomials with real coefficients.
How to explain that the case where all roots are equal to one is a minimum?

How is my solution not general? It would prove it for all real polynomials. I suppose that I assumed that the roots were all positive, which you did not explicitly state, but this is a very necessary condition! Consider the quadratic [itex] x^2-1 [/itex]. Its roots are [itex] \pm 1[/itex] so the product you are considering would be zero, which is not greater than 2^2=4

How to show that the all ones case is the minimum? Do as I suggested in my previous post and replace just one of the roots with 1 and show that this reduces the product (using the inequality I gave you. You should prove this inequality if you have not seen it before). Once you show this, you are done because this implies

[tex] n^2=(1+1+1+...1)(1+1+1+...1) \leq (r_1+1+1+...1)(\frac{1}{r_1}+1+1+...1) \leq (r_1+r_2+1+...1)(\frac{1}{r_1}+\frac{1}{r_2}+1+...1)... \\ \leq (r_1+r_2+r_3+...r_n)(\frac{1}{r_1}+\frac{1}{r_2}+\frac{1}{r_3}+...\frac{1}{r_n}) [/tex] as desired.

Last edited:

Related to Proving Algebra (Polynomials) Relationship Between Roots and Coefficients

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. It can have one or more terms, with each term containing a variable raised to a non-negative integer power.

2. What are the different types of polynomials?

The different types of polynomials include monomials (one term), binomials (two terms), trinomials (three terms), and polynomials with more than three terms. They can also be classified based on the number of variables they contain, such as univariate (one variable) and multivariate (more than one variable) polynomials.

3. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent or power of its variable(s). For example, the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2 has a degree of 2, as the highest exponent is 2. The degree of a polynomial can help determine its behavior, such as whether it has a maximum or minimum value, and its end behavior.

4. How do you add and subtract polynomials?

To add or subtract polynomials, you must first arrange them in descending order of their degrees. Then, combine like terms (terms with the same variables and exponents) by adding or subtracting their coefficients. Once all like terms have been combined, the resulting polynomial will be in its simplest form.

5. How do you multiply and divide polynomials?

To multiply polynomials, use the distributive property to multiply each term in one polynomial by each term in the other polynomial. Then, combine like terms and simplify the resulting polynomial. To divide polynomials, use long or synthetic division, which involves dividing the leading terms, subtracting, bringing down the next term, and repeating until the remainder has a lower degree than the divisor.