Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving an or statement

1. Dec 31, 2009 #1
    Proving an "or" statement

What is the general procedure when proving a statement like "A implies B or C"? Is it more common to assume A and then split into cases (i.e. case 1: A implies B, case 2: A implies C, therefore A implies B or C)? Or is it more common to assume A and that one of B or C is false and then prove that A implies C or B (depending on which is assumed false)?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2009 #2
    Re: Proving an "or" statement

Both are common. In my experience the most common is your second approach, i.e. assume A is true and B is false, and then conclude that C is true (interchange B and C if you want to). It's not uncommon either to do contradiction and assume A is true, B is false, C is false and then reach a contradiction, or possibly contraposition where you assume B and C are false and then conclude A is false. Really the approach to use depends on the problem and there is no best general way.

4. Dec 31, 2009 #3

If you did it the first way, you would have proven A implies B *and* C.

5. Dec 31, 2009 #4

I took his statement to mean:
    Assume A
    Show that either P or Q is true.
    Case 1: Assume P is true. ... then B is true.
    Case 2: Assume Q is true. ... then C is true.

which is valid.

6. Dec 31, 2009 #5

Where did P and Q come from?

7. Dec 31, 2009 #6

I introduced them to make the point more easily. When he wrote:
    Case 1: A implies B
    Case 2: A implies C
    I'm reading it as a way of writing that in one case which I call P we prove that A implies B (we don't assume it), and in another case which I called Q we prove that A implies C. That is the only way I see for the argument to make sense.

8. Dec 31, 2009 #7

No, you still get A -> (B /\ C) with that approach.

9. Dec 31, 2009 #8

You must misunderstand me because I'm pretty sure my argument form is correct (whether altcmdesc meant it or not). For instance let:
    A be "n is an integer square m^2".
    B be "[itex]n \equiv 0 \pmod 3[/itex]".
    C be "[itex]n \equiv 1 \pmod 3[/itex]"
    Then:
    Assume [itex]n=m^2[/itex] for some integer m.
    Case 1 ([itex]m \equiv 1 \pmod 3[/itex] or [itex]m \equiv 2 \pmod 3[/itex]): Then [itex]n=m^2 \equiv 1 \pmod 3[/itex] which proves C in this case.
    Case 2 ([itex]m \equiv 0 \pmod 3[/itex]): Then [itex]n=m^2 \equiv 0 \pmod 3[/itex] which proves B in this case.

This doesn't prove that every square is congruent to 0 AND 1 modulo 3, simply to one of them.

Here the conditions in parentheses are what I called P and Q and I think altcmdesc simply omitted them for simplicity. I think we're just understanding altcmdesc in different ways, so I guess we have to wait for him to clear up exactly what he meant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook