Proving Associativity of Direct Product of Two Groups

In summary, the conversation is about proving that a group, A*B, is the direct product of two other groups, A and B. The first step is to show that A and B are groups, and the second step is to show that A*B is a group. The first step is straightforward, and the second step is more complicated but still straightforward.
chaotixmonjuish
Suppose you had the following:

(A,*) and (B,[tex]\nabla[/tex])

So to prove associativity, since I know that both A and B are groups, their direct product will be a group. Could I do the following

ai , bi[tex] \in A,B
[/tex]

[(a1,b1)(a2,b2)](a3,b3)=(a1,b1)[(a2,b2)(a3,b3)]

Since A and B are groups, I know they have distributing everything via the proper binary operations (I got kind of lazy at this point). Can I just multiply both sides by an a-11b-11 and so on until i get something like b3=b3

I just want to make sure this is sort of hte process one uses to prove the direct product is a group. By the way this question comes from Dummit and Foote, it says that the proof of this is left as a straightforward excercise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi chaotixmonjuish! :smile:
chaotixmonjuish said:
[(a1,b1)(a2,b2)](a3,b3)=(a1,b1)[(a2,b2)(a3,b3)]

By the way this question comes from Dummit and Foote, it says that the proof of this is left as a straightforward excercise.

Yup, it is straightforward …

i] what is [(a1,b1)(a2,b2)]?

ii] so what is [(a1,b1)(a2,b2)](a3,b3)?

:wink:

Your hint kind of confused me.

After multiplying everything

I'm changing the triangle to *'

(a1*a2,b1*'b2)(a3,b3)=(a1,b1)(a2*a3,b2*'b3)

Then once more:

(a1*a2*a3,b1*'b2*'b3)=
(a1*a2*a3,b1*'b2*'b3)

Since we know (A,*) and (B,*') is a group, we know there exists identity elements ai^1 and bi-1. We can use those identities to get all the a's equal to each other or the b's equal. That's shows associativity.

hmm … a bit complicated …

try starting with [(a1,b1)(a2,b2)](a3,b3) = ([a1a2]a3,[b1b2]b3) :wink:

Outside of that little thing, am I on the right track?

hmm … I got very confused by your …
chaotixmonjuish said:
Since we know (A,*) and (B,*') is a group, we know there exists identity elements ai^1 and bi-1. We can use those identities to get all the a's equal to each other or the b's equal. That's shows associativity.

… which I still don't see the need for. :confused:

on looking back, your method seems to be the same as mine (with the first line left out)

This really is a "straightforward exercise" (as your book calls it), but you seem to have a knack for making it complicated.

Just start with my line, use the associative law on each side of the comma separately, then separate out (a1,b1), and you're done :smile:

Related to Proving Associativity of Direct Product of Two Groups

What is the direct product of two groups?

The direct product of two groups is a new group formed by combining the elements of two existing groups. It is denoted by G × H, where G and H are the two groups. The elements of the direct product are ordered pairs (g, h) where g ∈ G and h ∈ H.

How is the direct product of two groups different from the direct sum?

The direct product and direct sum are similar concepts, but the main difference is that the direct sum only combines elements with the same index, while the direct product combines all possible pairs of elements from the two groups.

What is the identity element in the direct product of two groups?

The identity element in the direct product of two groups G and H is the ordered pair (eG, eH), where eG is the identity element of G and eH is the identity element of H.

Can the direct product of two groups be commutative?

The direct product of two groups is not necessarily commutative. It follows the commutative property only if both groups G and H are commutative themselves.

What is the order of the direct product of two groups?

The order of the direct product of two groups G and H is equal to the product of the orders of G and H, i.e. |G × H| = |G| * |H|.