Proving Convergence of a Series with Positive Terms

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
r4nd0m
Messages
96
Reaction score
1
hi,
I found this problem in Rudin, and I just can't figure it out.

It goes like this:
Prove that the convergence of [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] [tex]a_n \geq 0[/tex] implies the convergence of [tex]\sum \frac{\sqrt{a_n}}{n}[/tex]

I tried the comparison test, but that doesn't help because I don't know what the limit [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n\sqrt{a_n}}[/tex] is equal to.

Then I tried the partial summation formula, [tex]\frac{1}{n} \rightarrow \infty[/tex] and is monotonic, but [tex]\sqrt{a_n} > a_n[/tex] for all but finite many n. [tex]\sqrt{a_n}[/tex] is rising, so if it the partial sums were bounded from above the series would converge, but that isn't true for [tex]a_n = \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex], so I can't use this way.

The last thing that comes to my mind is to use the Cauchy criterion, but I can't find any good use of it here. a_n will be smaller than any epsilon for infinitely many n, but that doesn't really help.

Have I missed something out, or done something in a wrong way? Thanks for any help.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you tried partial summation, what kind of bounds did you use for [tex]\sum_{n\leq x}\sqrt{a_n}[/tex]?
 
The problem is there are no bounds for it - like in the example I mentioned - [tex]\sum a_n = \sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] converges, but [tex]\sum \sqrt{a_n} = \sum \frac{1}{n}[/tex] doesn't, hence it is also not bounded from above.
 
Last edited:
I don't mean bounded by a constant for all partial sums, rather an upper bound that depends on x.

With [tex]a_n=1/n^2[/tex], you can get the bound [itex]\sum_{n\leq x}\sqrt{a_n}\leq \log(x)+1[/itex]. Using this bound, you could go through the partial summation and show [itex]\sum_{n\leq x}\sqrt{a_n}n^{-1}[/itex] is bounded by a constant.

So, what kind of bounds can you get for [itex]\sum_{n\leq x}\sqrt{a_n}[/itex]? It would be good to ask what kind of bound you'd need to deduce convergence from partial summation as well.
 
Last edited:
How about the "root test"? Since [itex]\Sigma a_n[/itex] converges, you know that [itex]^n\sqrt{a_n}[/itex] converges to a number less than or equal to one. What does that tell you about the limit of
[tex]{^n\sqrt{\frac\sqrt{a_n}}{n}}= \frac{\sqrt{^n\sqrt{a_n}}}{^n\sqrt{n}}[/tex]?
 
the root test! I don't know why, but I just ignored it. Thanks a lot
 
The root test will be inconclusive here if you started with a sequence that has [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sqrt[n]{a_n}=1[/tex] to begin with. Or if this limit simply didn't exist (though you can use the lim sup version, again inconclusive if you get a "1").
 
If [tex] a_n \le {1 \over {n^2 }}[/tex], then [tex] \sqrt {a_n } \le {1 \over n} \Rightarrow {{\sqrt {a_n } } \over n} \le {1 \over {n^2 }}[/tex];

if [tex] a_n \ge {1 \over {n^2 }}<br /> [/tex], then [tex] \sqrt {a_n } \ge {1 \over n}<br /> [/tex]; multiplying both sides of this inequality by [tex] \sqrt {a_n } <br /> [/tex] we obtain [tex] {{\sqrt {a_n } } \over n} \le a_n <br /> [/tex].

Thus [tex] {{\sqrt {a_n } } \over n} \le \max \left\{ {a_n ,{1 \over {n^2 }}} \right\} = {1 \over 2}\left( {a_n + {1 \over {n^2 }}} \right) + {1 \over 2}\left| {a_n - {1 \over {n^2 }}} \right| \le {1 \over 2}\left( {a_n + {1 \over {n^2 }}} \right) + {1 \over 2}\left( {a_n + {1 \over {n^2 }}} \right) = a_n + {1 \over {n^2 }}<br /> [/tex].

Then the convergence of [tex] \sum\limits_n {a_n } <br /> [/tex] and [tex] \sum\limits_n {{1 \over {n^2 }}} <br /> [/tex] implies the convergence of

[tex] \sum\limits_n {{{\sqrt {a_n } } \over n}} <br /> [/tex].