Proving Convergence of Series: (a_n) and (a_{2n-1} + a_{2n})

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
drawar
Messages
130
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let [itex](a_n)[/itex] be a sequence.
(i) Prove that if [itex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {{a_n}}[/itex] converges, then [itex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( {{a_{2n - 1}} + {a_{2n}}} \right)}[/itex] also converges.

(ii) Prove that if [itex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( {{a_{2n - 1}} + {a_{2n}}} \right)}[/itex] converges and [itex]a_n \to 0[/itex], then [itex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {{a_n}}[/itex] converges.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



(i) Let [itex]{R_n} = \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {{a_k}}[/itex], [itex]{S_n} = \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {{a_{2k - 1}}}[/itex], and [itex]{T_n} = \sum\limits_{k = 1}^n {{a_{2k}}}[/itex]

Then [itex]{R_{2n}}={S_n}+{T_n}[/itex], since [itex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {{a_n}}[/itex] converges, the sequence [itex](R_n)[/itex] converges, and so is the subsequence [itex](R_{2n})[/itex]. It follows that [itex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( {{a_{2n - 1}} + {a_{2n}}} \right)}[/itex].

(ii) Ok so I'm stuck on this part. I already have [itex](R_{2n})[/itex] converges and [itex](a_n)[/itex] is bounded, how can I go about proving that [itex](R_{n})[/itex] converges as well? Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The convergence of Rn does not guarantee the convergence of Sn or Tn, you cannot write it as sum like that.
The idea to use a sequence and subsequences is good, however.

(ii) how can R2n+1 deviate from R2n, if an->0?
 
mfb said:
The convergence of Rn does not guarantee the convergence of Sn or Tn, you cannot write it as sum like that.
The idea to use a sequence and subsequences is good, however.

(ii) how can R2n+1 deviate from R2n, if an->0?

I'm sorry I wasn't able to reply earlier.

For (i), I agree with you that the convergence of [itex]R_n[/itex] does not imply the convergence of [itex]S_n[/itex] or [itex]T_n[/itex] but it can imply that ([itex]S_n[/itex]+[itex]S_n[/itex]) converges right?

Btw, I think I may get your point for part (ii), let me just say what I'm thinking: Since [itex]R_{2n}[/itex] = [itex]R_{2n-1}[/itex]+[itex]a_{2n}[/itex], it can be deduced that [itex]R_{2n-1}[/itex] converges to the same limit as [itex]R_{2n}[/itex], as a result, [itex]R_{n}[/itex] converges.
 
drawar said:
For (i), I agree with you that the convergence of [itex]R_n[/itex] does not imply the convergence of [itex]S_n[/itex] or [itex]T_n[/itex] but it can imply that ([itex]S_n[/itex]+[itex]S_n[/itex]) converges right?
If you replace the second S by a T (typo?), yes.

Btw, I think I may get your point for part (ii), let me just say what I'm thinking: Since [itex]R_{2n}[/itex] = [itex]R_{2n-1}[/itex]+[itex]a_{2n}[/itex], it can be deduced that [itex]R_{2n-1}[/itex] converges to the same limit as [itex]R_{2n}[/itex], as a result, [itex]R_{n}[/itex] converges.
That was the idea I had in mind, indeed.