Proving Divisibility of Polynomials in Field Extensions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that if $g$ divides $f$ in the field extension $K/F$, then it also divides $f$ in $F[X]$. The hint given is to use the division algorithm for polynomials in $F[X]$. The summary also includes the steps taken to prove this statement, such as showing that if $r\neq 0$ then $h-q\neq 0$, and the conclusion that $g\mid f$ in $F[X]$. Finally, the speaker asks for verification and improvement on their solution.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $K/F$ be a field extension, $f,g\in F[X]$. I want to show that if $g\mid f$ in $K[X]$, then $g\mid f$ also in $F[X]$.

Suppose that $g\mid f$ in $K[X]$. Then $f=g\cdot h$, where $h\in K[X]$. We have to show that $h\in F[X]$.
Could you give me some hints how we could show that? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Let $K/F$ be a field extension, $f,g\in F[X]$. I want to show that if $g\mid f$ in $K[X]$, then $g\mid f$ also in $F[X]$.

Suppose that $g\mid f$ in $K[X]$. Then $f=g\cdot h$, where $h\in K[X]$. We have to show that $h\in F[X]$.
Could you give me some hints how we could show that? (Wondering)
Hint: Use division algorithm for the polynomials $f$ and $g$ in $F[x]$.

caffeinemachine said:
Hint: Use division algorithm for the polynomials $f$ and $g$ in $F[x]$.

Applying the division algorithm for the polynomials $f$ and $g$ in $F[x]$, we have $$f=gq+r$$ where $q,r\in F[x]$ with $\deg g>\deg r$.

We have that $g\mid f$ in $K[x]$, so $f=gh$, where $h\in K[x]$.

Therefore, we have the following:
$$r=f-gq=gh-gq=g(h-q)$$
We have that $g\neq 0$.
So, if $r\neq 0$ then $h-q\neq 0$. We have that $$\deg r=\deg (g(h-q))=\deg g+\deg (h-q)>\deg r+\deg (h-q) \Rightarrow \deg (h-q)<0$$ a contradiction.

Therefore, it must be $r=0$, i.e., $f=gq$ in $F[x]$, i.e., $g\mid f$ in $F[x]$.

Is everything correct? Could I improve something? (Wondering)

1. What is the definition of divisibility of polynomials?

Divisibility of polynomials refers to the property of one polynomial being able to be divided by another polynomial without a remainder. In other words, if polynomial A is divisible by polynomial B, then polynomial A can be written as a product of polynomial B and another polynomial C.

2. How do you determine if one polynomial is divisible by another?

The most common method for determining if one polynomial is divisible by another is by using the long division algorithm. This involves dividing the leading term of the first polynomial by the leading term of the second polynomial, then multiplying the quotient by the second polynomial and subtracting it from the first polynomial. If the resulting remainder is zero, then the first polynomial is divisible by the second polynomial.

3. Can a polynomial be divisible by more than one polynomial?

Yes, a polynomial can be divisible by multiple polynomials. For example, if polynomial A is divisible by polynomial B and polynomial C, then it can be written as a product of both B and C, as well as another polynomial D.

4. What is the significance of divisibility of polynomials in mathematics?

The concept of divisibility of polynomials is important in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra, number theory, and abstract algebra. It allows for simplification of complex polynomial expressions and helps in solving equations involving polynomials.

5. Are there any special cases in which one polynomial is always divisible by another?

Yes, there are a few special cases in which one polynomial is always divisible by another. These include when the leading coefficient of the second polynomial is a factor of the leading coefficient of the first polynomial, or when the degree of the first polynomial is less than or equal to the degree of the second polynomial.