Proving e^x=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}

• Thread starter Alem2000
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation e^x=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!} and the process of proving it to be true. The differentiation of both sides is suggested, and the steps for doing so are discussed. The concept of factorials is also mentioned. The conversation then shifts to discussing the function cos(x) and its series representation, as well as the process of finding the series for \frac{\cos(x)-1}{x^2}. Finally, the conversation delves into the concept of differentiable functions and using the ratio test to prove the convergence of a series.
Alem2000
I was looking at my math text and I saw that [tex]e^x=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex] and it sugests that you prove it to yourself. So this is what I don't get if [tex] f(x)=e^x=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex] then [tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x)[/tex] should equal that..now I am not qeustioning that its true I am just having a hard time proving it to myself this is what I did
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(e^x=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!})=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{nx^n-1}{n!}[/tex] and after that I just set them equal. Now I will warn you I am horrible at factorials so I didnt simplify and this is what turns out [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{nx^n-1}{n!}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex] now can somone tell me what I need to correct or simplify?

Physics news on Phys.org
For [itex]n>1[/itex],
[tex]n!=\prod_{i=1}^{n}i=n \prod_{i=1}^{n-1}i=n (n-1)![/tex]
([itex]\prod[/itex] is like [itex]\sum[/itex] except that the numbers are multiplied instead of added.)
PS. You should put the exponent in {}'s so that you get
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{nx^{n-1}}{n!}[/tex]

thanks alot, I am going to give it a shot :smile:

[tex]e^x=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex]

Differentiating, we get:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^x=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n\frac{x^{n-1}}{n!} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{x^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}[/tex]

Put m=n-1, and that sum reduces to the original sum.

Note that the first term in the original series is 1, which, when differentiated, gives zero. This is why the sum in the differentiated series starts at n=1 rather than n=0.

quick question [tex]cosx=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1^n)(x^2n)}{2n!}[/tex] so if you want to know [tex]\frac{cosx-1}{x^2}[/tex] all you have to

do is [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1^n)(x^2n)-(2n!x^2)}{2n!x^2}[/tex]

is that the way to go about it if you don't want to write out the terms?

I can't really see what you were doing to obtain that expression.

Notice the first term (n=0) in the series for cos(x) is 1, so:

[tex]\cos(x)-1 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nx^{2n}}{(2n)!}[/tex].

and

[tex]\frac{\cos(x)-1}{x^2} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nx^{2n-2}}{(2n)!}[/tex].

what I did was divide the whole thig on the right side with [tex]x^2[/tex] and subtracted [tex]1[/tex] from it then I simplify...can you do that to ther series? o:)

Problem with the reasoning for the original question: You try to prove that the infinite series is equal to the aforementioned function, but doing so, you merely differentiate the series. This is invalid because all you have shown is that the series is it's own derivative, without proving that e^x is the only such function with the aforementioned property.

once you have shown that the series defiens a differentiable function f which equals its own derivative, and such that f(0) = 1, it is easy to see that it equals e^x.

(Apply MVT to the result of differentiating f/e^x.)

The harder part is to show that this series defines a differentiable function and that you can differentiate the series term by term.

The easiest way to see this is to use the ratio test for convergence of a series in the sup norm, to show that the series above does converge to a continuous function, uniformly on every closed bounded interval. (On the interval [-r,r], compare with the geometric series with ratio r.) Then deduce that the series of indefinite integrals (starting from 0), converges to the indefinite integral of f. Since in fact the series of indefinite integrals visibly equals f-1, we get that f' = f.

Last edited:

Related to Proving e^x=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}

1. What is the meaning of e^x?

e^x is the exponential function, where e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent growth or decay.

2. What is the significance of the notation e^x?

The notation e^x is a shorthand way of representing the exponential function e raised to the power of x. It is a convenient way to write and manipulate this function in mathematical equations.

3. How is e^x related to the infinite series sum of x^n/n!?

The infinite series sum of x^n/n! is a way to express the exponential function e^x in a more general form. It is a way to represent e^x as an infinite sum of terms, each with a specific coefficient and power of x.

4. What is the proof of e^x=sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n/n!?

The proof of this equation involves using the power series expansion of e^x, which is derived using techniques from calculus and Taylor series. By substituting the power series into the equation and manipulating the terms, we can show that e^x is equal to the infinite series sum of x^n/n!.

5. How is this equation used in practical applications?

This equation is used in various fields of science and engineering to model exponential growth or decay, such as in population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. It is also used in differential equations to solve problems involving exponential functions.