How to prove rationals are dense in the reals

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zhalfirin88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Existence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Zhalfirin88
Messages
137
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove that if x in R and epsilon > 0 are arbitrary, then there exist r in Q such that |x - r | < epsilon

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm stumped on this one. I tried using the reverse triangle inequality, but I seemingly hit dead ends with it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use the fact that the rationals are dense in the reals? This means that any real number can be approximated by a rational number.
 
I know what you are saying, but how do I write that (this is my first proofs class).

By the denseness of Q, you can say that epsilon < p < q < ... < r < x

But I'm not sure how you get the inequality in there. Feel like I'm missing something
 
Zhalfirin88 said:
I know what you are saying, but how do I write that (this is my first proofs class).

By the denseness of Q, you can say that epsilon < p < q < ... < r < x

But I'm not sure how you get the inequality in there. Feel like I'm missing something

The assumption is that you are given an [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and an [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex]. Using the fact that the rationals are dense in the reals, any real number can be approximated by a rational number. In other words, there exists a [itex]r \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] such that [itex]r[/itex] is arbitrarily close to [itex]x[/itex], or [itex]|x - r| < \varepsilon[/itex].