1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving function is improper riemann integrable

1. Jan 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let f:[0,oo) -> R be given by f(x) = sin(x) / x for x>0 and f(0) = c. Prove that f is improper riemann integrable without computing the integral explicitly

3. The attempt at a solution

I've attempted to find a upperbound for f(x) such that the integral does not diverge. The most simple one is to use the fact that sin(x) <= 1 for all x, but this gives a divergent integral.

I've already proved that f is Lebesgue measurable for every c in R. So I could turn the integral [tex]\int_0^R f(x) dx[/tex] into a Lebesgue integral and then use one of the convergence theorems to try to show with them that the integral does not diverge. But I haven't succeded in doing this :(

Can anyone help me out?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As you've probably noticed, the integral of the absolute value of your function diverges. The fact an improper integral can be defined means you must be able to show that the positive parts can be combined with the negative parts to get a partial cancellation that can converge. Draw a graph and think about estimating. Does that help?
  4. Jan 5, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hoi Piet.

Use the Cauchy criterion!:
    The improper integral [tex]\int_a^\infty f(x)dx[/tex] converges if and only if [itex]\forall \epsilon>0 \exists b>a[/itex] such that
    [tex] c,d > b \Rightarrow \left|\int_c^d f(x)dx \right| < \epsilon[/tex]

You can use integration by parts to show that:
    [tex]\left| \int_c^d \frac{\sin x}{x}dx\right|\leq 2\left(\frac{1}{c}+\frac{1}{d}\right)[/tex]
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?