Proving gradient points in the direction of maximum increase

In summary, the gradient points in the direction of maximum increase because the directional derivative, which is the dot product between the gradient vector and the direction vector, is maximized when the two vectors are parallel, meaning the direction of maximal increase is in the direction of the gradient vector. This can be shown using the cosine function and the fact that the dot product is maximized when the angle between the two vectors is zero. Depending on the definition of the gradient, the proof may require the use of the chain rule to make sense of the statement.
hivesaeed4
How do we prove that the gradient points in the direction of the maximum increase? Would it be enough to simply state that the gradient is just the derivates of a function w.r.t all the variables a function depends upon. Since the derivative of a term w.r.t a certain variable gives the maximum increase of that term and since in gradient not only do we account for all possible terms and all the variables upon which a term depends upon but also includes the direction, so it is logical to conclude that the gradient points in the direction of the maximum increase.

Note: I do hope that the above proof is adequate but somehow feel that the proof has to be mathematical. Could someone tell me whether or not my intuition is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Since the derivative of a term w.r.t a certain variable gives the maximum increase of that term ".
Does it?

Sorry. It gives the rate of change of a term.

Then how do I prove that the gradient points in the direction of the maximum increase?

Have you learned about directional derivatives yet?

Ok:
I just saw that you DO know about directional derivatives, on basis of another thread posted by you!

Now, you now know that the directional derivative is the dot/scalar product between the gradient vector and the direction vector.

Can you rewrite a dot/scalar product between two vectors in another way, a way involving the magintudesof the two vectors?

Yes. But that would involve the cos of the angle between the 2 vectors. But how does that prove that the gradient gives the us maximum rate of increase?

I haven't done this but as a suggestion.

Make the directional derivative a function of theta and maximize it.

hivesaeed4 said:
Yes. But that would involve the cos of the angle between the 2 vectors. But how does that prove that the gradient gives the us maximum rate of increase?
For what angle between the vectors does the cosine function receive its maximum value?

zero.

hivesaeed4 said:
zero.

Indeed!

And, therefore:
What angle between the direction vector and the gradient vector maximizes the dot product between them?

zero?

Right!

And, if two vectors have zero angle between them, then they are parallell vectors, meaning that the direction of maximal increase is in the direction of the...?

In the direction of both vectors.

So is that the required proof?

hivesaeed4 said:
In the direction of both vectors.
Yes.
In particular, in the direction of the gradient.

hivesaeed4 said:
So is that the required proof?

What do you think is lacking/unsatisfactory?

the answer depends on your definition of the gradient. if you think the gradient is the vector that dots with a direction vector to give the directional derivative, then the previous explanation is all you need.

I you think the gradient is a vector whose entries are the partial derivatives, then you need to make sense out of that a bit more. i.e. you need the chain rule to get the previous statement.

mathwonk said:
the answer depends on your definition of the gradient. if you think the gradient is the vector that dots with a direction vector to give the directional derivative, then the previous explanation is all you need.

I you think the gradient is a vector whose entries are the partial derivatives, then you need to make sense out of that a bit more. i.e. you need the chain rule to get the previous statement.

That is why I asked OP what, if anything, he found lacking.

However, since he had already posted other threads in which he showed familiarity with the concept of the directional derivative, I assumed he was also familiar with how that is derived.
Therefore, I did not address that point explicitly.

1. What is a gradient and how is it related to maximum increase?

A gradient is a mathematical concept that represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase in a function. It is related to maximum increase because the gradient points in the direction of the greatest change in the function's output.

2. How can we prove that the gradient points in the direction of maximum increase?

This can be proven mathematically using the directional derivative, which measures the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. If the directional derivative is equal to the magnitude of the gradient, then the gradient points in the direction of maximum increase.

3. What is the significance of proving that the gradient points in the direction of maximum increase?

Knowing the direction of maximum increase allows us to optimize functions in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. It helps us determine the best direction to move in order to achieve the desired outcome.

4. Can the gradient ever point in the opposite direction of maximum increase?

No, the gradient always points in the direction of maximum increase. This is because the directional derivative is always the greatest in the direction of the gradient, making it the direction of steepest ascent.

5. Are there any real-world applications of proving gradient points in the direction of maximum increase?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this concept. For example, in economics, it can be used to determine the optimal production level for a company. In physics, it can help determine the direction of the strongest electric field. In engineering, it can be used to optimize the design of structures for maximum strength.