Proving Hermite polynomials satisfy Hermite's equation

In summary: The factor ##e^{x^2/2} ## is going to do that for us.In summary, the conversation discusses the Hermite differential equation and its solutions, known as Hermite functions. By multiplying the solutions by a factor of (-1)^ne^(x^2/2), we can obtain Hermite polynomials which satisfy another equation. The conversation then questions the purpose of the extra factor and how to show that Hermite polynomials are solutions to the equation. It also explores the relation between the differential equation of Hermite functions and Hermite polynomials. Finally, a substitution is suggested to simplify the equation and make it easier to prove that Hermite polynomials are solutions.
weezy
My book (by Mary L Boas) introduces first the Hermite differential equation for Hermite functions:
$$y_n'' - x^2y_n=-(2n+1)y_n$$ and we find solutions like $$y_n=e^{x^2/2}D^n e^{-x^2}$$ where ##D^n=\frac{d^n}{dx^n}##

Now she says that multiplying ##y_n## by ##(-1)^ne^{x^2/2}## gives us what is known as Hermite polynomials: $$H_n(x)=(-1)^ne^{x^2}D^n e^{-x^2}$$which satisfies another equation: $$y''-2xy'+2ny=0 $$
So far so good until I try to prove if ##H_n(x)## does indeed satisfy the equation above. In her problem set she asks to check if ##e^{-x^2/2}H_n(x)## satisfies the Hermite polynomial equation and here I don't understand why is the extra factor ##e^{-x^2/2}## there?

Also, when I try to just check if ##H_n(x)## satisfies the equation I fail to get past this step which is:
$$H_n'(x)=(-1)^ne^{x^2}[D^{n+1}e^{-x^2}+2x \cdot D^ne^{-x^2}] $$ I don't know if this can be further simplified because when I try to calculate ##H_n''(x)## it gets even more complicated and I am unable to prove that ##H_n(x)## is a solution to the equation. My first thought was to find out what ##D^n e^{f(x)}## and I thought if ##f(x)=x^2## I would get a finite polynomial but that didn't happen.

All my questions can be summarised as follows:
-
What is the purpose of ##e^{-x^2/2}## factor?
-
How can I show ##H_n(x)## is a solution to the equation ##y''-2xy'+2ny=0 ##
-
What is the relation between the differential equation of Hermite functions to that of Hermite polynomials? Are the two equations/solutions equivalent in some way?

-

weezy said:
All I did was make a substitution: ##H_n(x) = e^{x^2} u, u=D^ne^{-x^2}##
From that substitution, I'm curious how you got other terms with an "##n##" in them to cancel out the "##2ny##" term in the differential equation.

The substitution ##H_n(x) = (-1)^n e^{x^2/2} u ## with ##u = e^{x^2/2} D^n e^{-x^2} ## would allow us to express ##u''## as a function of ##u## since ##y = u## satisfies the first differential equation you gave: ## y''- x^2 y = -(2n+1)y ## , which implies ## u'' = x^2 u - (2n+1)u##.

I don't understand why is the extra factor ##e^{-x^2/2}## there?

A simple minded way to motivate a factor is that we want the Hermite polynomials to be polynomials in x. The result of ## D^n e^{-x^2} ## is going to have the factor ##e^{-x^2}## in it, which needs to be "canceled out" in order to produce a polynomial.

1. What is Hermite's equation?

Hermite's equation is a differential equation that describes the behavior of Hermite polynomials. It is written as y'' - 2xy' + 2ny = 0, where n is the order of the polynomial.

2. How do Hermite polynomials satisfy Hermite's equation?

Hermite polynomials satisfy Hermite's equation by being a solution to the differential equation. This means that when the polynomial is plugged into the equation, it satisfies the equation and its derivatives.

3. What is the significance of Hermite's equation?

Hermite's equation is significant because it is used to study many physical phenomena, such as quantum mechanics and the behavior of quantum harmonic oscillators. The solutions to this equation, the Hermite polynomials, have many important applications in mathematics and physics.

4. How are Hermite polynomials related to Hermite's equation?

Hermite polynomials are directly related to Hermite's equation as they are the solutions to the equation. In other words, Hermite's equation describes the behavior of Hermite polynomials.

5. Can Hermite's equation be solved using other methods?

Yes, Hermite's equation can be solved using various methods such as power series and recurrence relations. However, the most common and efficient method is through the use of Hermite polynomials.