1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write sin in terms of Hermite polynomials

1. May 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write ##sin(ax)## for ##a \in \mathbb{R}##. (Use generating function for appropriate ##z##)

2. Relevant equations

##e^{2xz-z^2}=\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\frac{H_n(x)}{n!}z^n##

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea what to do.

My idea was that since ##sin(ax)=\frac{1}{2i}(e^{iax}-e^{-iax})## I tried to calculate ##z## from ##e^{iax}=e^{2xz-z^2}## but I doubt this method really works.

Could somebody give me a hint?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Hint: Consider [itex]z = ik[/itex] for some strictly positive [itex]k[/itex].

4. May 17, 2014 #3
    I don't see how this would be any different to my idea?

##e^{iax}=e^{2xz-z^2}##

##iax=2xz-z^2## Now this part is already confusing since this should be true for ALL x or in other words ##z\neq z(x)##. The same if I set ##z=ik##.

If I ignore that, than this is of course quadratic equation for z:

##z_{1,2}=x\pm \sqrt{x^2-iax}## and also a very similar solutions for ##k## if ##z=ik##.

I don't think that ##z## is meant to be a function of anything? Or am I wrong here?

5. May 17, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why don't you actually try what pasmith suggested? Don't make assumptions based on how you think it's supposed to work out. Just set z=ik and work out what the lefthand side equals.

6. May 17, 2014 #5
    I try to not make a fool out of myself so don't be offended but I did consider his hint before replying.

Anyhow, ##2xz-z^2=2xik+k^2=iax## which, like I already mentioned, is quadratic equation for ##k##.

##k_{1,2}=-ix\pm \sqrt{iax-x^2}##

7. May 17, 2014 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Oh, okay, now I see what you were trying.

Why are you solving for ##k##? What would that buy you? Again, I'll suggest you work out what the lefthand side works out to, not just the exponent.

8. May 17, 2014 #7
    Because I was looking for ##z##.

Hmm, let's try it ##e^{2xik+k^2}=e^{2xik}e^{k^2}=e^{k^2}(cos(2kx)+isin(2kx))##

Does this mean that ##k=\frac{a}{2}##? How do I continue from here?

9. May 17, 2014 #8
    I think I got it:

for ##z=ik## the exponent ##e^{2xik+k^2}=e^{k^2}(cos(2kx)+isin(2kx)##

for ##z=-ik## the exponent ##e^{-2xik+k^2}=e^{k^2}(cos(2kx)-isin(2kx)##

No simply the difference between the equations above:

##e^{2xik+k^2}-e^{-2xik+k^2}=2ie^{k^2}sin(2kx)##

##sin(2kx)=\frac{1}{2ie^{k^2}}(e^{2xik+k^2}-e^{-2xik+k^2})## now note that ##z_1=ik## and ##z_2=-ik##

##sin(2kx)=\frac{1}{2ie^{k^2}}(e^{2xz_1-z_1^2}-e^{2xz_2-z_2^2})##

##sin(2kx)=\frac{1}{2ie^{k^2}}\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\frac{H_n(x)}{n!}(ik)^n[1-(-1)^n)##

What do you think?

10. May 17, 2014 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Looks good so far. You can still simplify it a bit further.

11. May 17, 2014 #10
    Yes I thought about that too. Since only odd numbers survive I think this should be ok:

##sin(2kx)=\frac{1}{2ie^{k^2}}\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\frac{H_n(x)}{n!}(ik)^n[1-(-1)^n]##

##sin(2kx)=\frac{1}{e^{k^2}}\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }(-1)^n\frac{H_{2n+1}(x)}{(2n+1)!}k^{2n+1}##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted