Proving if a function is One to One

• Thread starter tmlrlz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the first function, f(x) = cosx, is not one-to-one because it does not pass the horizontal line test and has multiple values for the same output. The second function, f(x) = x/|x|, is not one-to-one because it has the same output for different inputs. The third function, f(x) = (2-3x^2)^3, is not one-to-one because it has multiple roots and therefore multiple outputs for the same input.
tmlrlz

Homework Statement

Determine whether or not the function is one-to-one and, if so, find the inverse. If the function has an inverse, give the domain of the inverse.
a) f(x) = cos x, x[itex]\in[-pi/2, pi/2][/itex]
b) f(x) = x/|x|
c) f(x) = (2-3x2)3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) f '(x) = -sinx
When graphing the original function, you can see that it does not pass the horizontal line test. The derivative shows that between this interval, the derivative is not always positive or always negative, it changes between the two which proves that the original function increases and decreases between this interval. Also, f(-pi/3) = f(pi/3) because cos (-pi/3) = 1/2 = cos(pi/3) and that proves that this function is not one-to-one.

b) This is the question I'm most confused about between the three because when i graphed it using wolfram alpha, it is clear that it is not a one to one function because the graph consists of a horizontal line of y = -1 and y = 1 and that clearly will not pass the horizontal line test. However, i just don't know how to show that this function is not one-to-one. This is what i think using what i did before:
1/|1| = 1 = 2/|2| which proves that f(1) = f(2) and that means that this function is not one-to-one

c) I took the derivative of the function:
f'(x) = -18x(2-3x2)2
From the derivative you can see that the function is not always increasing or always decreasing, it changes between the two depending on what the value of x is. I can tell by looking at the function that it has more than one root and if you can show that the function has more than one root that automatically proves that the function is not one-to-one because it will not pass the horizontal line test.

(2-3x2)3 = 0
(2-3x2) = 0
3x2 = 2
x = +-√(2/3)
that means that f(+√(2/3))= f(-√(2/3)) which proves that the function is not one-to-one
Please help me verify if these are correct, and specific help on part b with the absolute value will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
(nevermind, I see that you are using the definition of one-to-one)

Part a looks good. You have [itex]cos(-\frac{\pi}{3}) = cos(\frac{\pi}{3})[/itex] but [itex]-\frac{\pi}{3} \neq \frac{\pi}{3}[/itex].

Part b also looks good. You have found that f(1) == f(2) but obviously 1 is not equal to 2.

Part c also looks good.

Last edited:

1. How do you prove if a function is one-to-one?

To prove that a function is one-to-one, you need to show that for every input, there is a unique output. This can be done by using the horizontal line test, where you draw a horizontal line through the function's graph and if the line only intersects the graph at one point, then the function is one-to-one.

2. Can a function be one-to-one if it has the same output for multiple inputs?

No, a function cannot be one-to-one if it has the same output for multiple inputs. This would violate the definition of a one-to-one function, which states that each input must have a unique output.

3. How can you algebraically prove if a function is one-to-one?

To algebraically prove that a function is one-to-one, you can use the method of direct proof. This involves assuming that the function is not one-to-one and then showing that this assumption leads to a contradiction. If you are unable to find a contradiction, then the function is indeed one-to-one.

4. Can a function be one-to-one if it has a range that is smaller than its domain?

Yes, a function can be one-to-one even if it has a range that is smaller than its domain. This is because the one-to-one property only considers the relationship between inputs and outputs, not the size of the domain or range.

5. Are all linear functions one-to-one?

No, not all linear functions are one-to-one. A linear function can only be one-to-one if its slope is not equal to 0. This is because a slope of 0 would result in multiple inputs having the same output, violating the one-to-one property.