Proving Isomorphism of Linear Operator with ||A|| < 1

In summary, the problem is that I can't seem to apply the Neumann series to this problem. Any suggestions?
Jaggis
Hi, I have some trouble with the following problem:

Let E be a Banach space.

Let A ∈ L(E), the space of linear operators from E.

Show that the linear operator φ: L(E) → L(E) with φ(T) = T + AT is an isomorphism if ||A|| < 1.

So the idea here is to use the Neumann series but I can't really figure out how to apply it here. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jaggis said:
Let ##A \in L(E)##, the space of linear operators from E.
This should be the space of bounded linear operators, I suppose?
Jaggis said:
So the idea here is to use the Neumann series but I can't really figure out how to apply it here. Any help?
It is part of the Neumann series theorem that if ##X## is Banach and ##K \in L(X)## satisfies ##\|K\| < 1##, then ##\phi := I + K## has a bounded inverse. Using this, start by taking ##X = L(E)##. How should ##K## be defined? Why does it then satisfy ##\|K\| < 1##?

Krylov said:
This should be the space of bounded linear operators, I suppose?

Oh, yes. You are right. My bad.

Krylov said:
How should ##K## be defined? Why does it then satisfy ##\|K\| < 1##?

Because I + K has a bounded inverse that can be represented as an infinite sum (according to the Neumann series theorem)

∑||K||^k,

we need ||K|| <1.

If φ(K) = T + TK, would the solution have something to do with the following reasoning: T + TK = T(I + K)? Now I +K has an inverse but T necessarily doesn't. So, how can I deduce that T(I +K) is also an isomorphism?

You are looking at it the wrong way, it is irrelevant whether ##T## has an inverse or not. You are interested in invertibility of an operator (namely, ##\phi##) on ##X = L(E)##, not in invertibility of an operator on ##E## itself.

Note that if you choose ##K## correctly (you didn't specify it yet), then your ##\phi## and my ##\phi## are the same.

Krylov said:
You are looking at it the wrong way, it is irrelevant whether ##T## has an inverse or not. You are interested in invertibility of an operator (namely, ##\phi##) on ##X = L(E)##, not in invertibility of an operator on ##E## itself.

OK. I see your point. I think.

Then I suppose that we want to use the Neumann series for φ. Because we demand that φ is an isomorphism, we need || φ-I || < 1.

As in

|| φ-I || = || T+KT - I || <1.

Now it remains to show that this holds if ||K|| <1?

Krylov said:
Note that if you choose ##K## correctly (you didn't specify it yet), then your ##\phi## and my ##\phi## are the same.

But can we choose K freely? The way I understand it, the task is to show that

K ∈ L(L(E)) with ||K|| < 1 ⇒ φ: L(E) →L(E) with φ(T) = T + KT is an isomorphism

holds.

From the OP I thought the task is to show that ##\phi \in L(X)## defined by
$$
\phi(T) := T + AT \qquad \forall\,T \in X := L(E)
$$
is an isomorphism whenever ##A \in X## satisfies ##\|A\| < 1##. Isn't this what you wanted?

Assuming this is correct, what I was hinting at, is that given ##A \in X## you define ##K \in L(X)## by
$$
KT := AT \qquad \forall\,T \in X
$$
(So note: ##K## is not equal to ##A##! The latter is in ##X##, the former is in ##L(X)##.) Then it follows that ##\phi = I_X + K## with ##I_X## the identity on ##X##. Now you just have to prove that ##\|K\| < 1##, which is trivial. (In fact, the whole exercise is rather easy, and maybe you are overthinking it? Just be sure to keep a clear distinction between ##E##, ##L(E)## and ##L(L(E))##. To help myself with this, I introduced the symbol ##X##.)

OK, thanks for your help.

Related to Proving Isomorphism of Linear Operator with ||A|| < 1

1. What is the definition of isomorphism in linear operators?

Isomorphism in linear operators refers to a one-to-one and onto mapping between two vector spaces that preserves the structure of the space, such as addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How is isomorphism of linear operators proven?

To prove isomorphism of linear operators, one must show that the operators have the same null space, dimension, and range. This can be done by showing that the operators have a one-to-one and onto mapping between them and that they preserve the structure of the vector space.

3. What does ||A|| < 1 mean in the context of proving isomorphism of linear operators?

The notation ||A|| < 1 refers to the norm of the linear operator A being less than 1. This is a necessary condition for proving isomorphism because it ensures that the operator is invertible, which is a key requirement for an isomorphism.

4. Why is it important for ||A|| to be less than 1 in proving isomorphism of linear operators?

If ||A|| is less than 1, it means that the operator A is a contraction, meaning that it maps any given vector to a point that is closer to the origin. This is important in proving isomorphism because it ensures that the mapping between the two vector spaces is well-behaved and does not distort the structure of the space.

5. Can isomorphism of linear operators be proven if ||A|| is greater than or equal to 1?

No, isomorphism of linear operators cannot be proven if ||A|| is greater than or equal to 1. This is because the operator would not be a contraction and could potentially distort the structure of the vector space, making it impossible to establish a one-to-one and onto mapping between the two spaces.