Proving M is a Subgroup of G: Tips & Help

• Thread starter nonaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, it was proven that M, defined as M = {x in G | x^11 = e}, is a normal subgroup of G of order 11. This was done by showing that M has a subgroup of order 11 and proving that the elements of order 11 commute. Using the order of G (22), it was shown that there can only be one subgroup of order 11 in G. Additionally, the subgroup was identified as {e, x, x^2, x^3, ..., x^10} and it was proven that it is indeed a subgroup.
nonaa
Given a group G of order 22 and [tex]M = \{x \in G | x^{11}=e\}[/tex]. Prove that M is a normal subgroup of G.I have troubles proving M is subgroup of G. If M was a subgroup, then I can show it is normal, but how to prove it's a subgroup?
I know I have to show it's closed under multiplication and opposite element, but cannot do this. May I receive some help?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. not precalculus.
2. Closure. Assume x, y in M. You are trying to prove that xy is in M. All you have to do is write what the two preceding statements MEAN, and then there is one intermediate step. Not too tricky.

3. Inverse. You know what the inverse of x (in M) is, right? Since this is an element of M, what else can you say about it (in G)?

The Chaz said:
1. not precalculus.
2. Closure. Assume x, y in M. You are trying to prove that xy is in M. All you have to do is write what the two preceding statements MEAN, and then there is one intermediate step. Not too tricky.

3. Inverse. You know what the inverse of x (in M) is, right? Since this is an element of M, what else can you say about it (in G)?

2. I have to prove that if x, y are from M, then (xy)11=e. If the group was abelian, it's easy - then (xy)11=x11.y11, but now (xy)11=xyxyxy...xy and don't know how to prove it's equal to e.

3. I'm not sure what's the term in English, but what I understand by the word "inverse" is such an element y, that if x is in G, then xy=yx=e.
In this problem, if x is in M, the order of x divides 11, so ord(x) = 1 or ord(x)=11.
x.x10=x11=e, so the inverse of x must be x10.
We have to show it's in M.
(x10)11 = (x11)10=e10=e
Is this right?

nonaa said:
2. I have to prove that if x, y are from M, then (xy)11=e. If the group was abelian, it's easy - then (xy)11=x11.y11, but now (xy)11=xyxyxy...xy and don't know how to prove it's equal to e.

You have to use what you know about the order of G. The prime factorization of 22 is (2)(11). Use this to show that M has a subgroup of order 11. Can it have more than one?

Last edited:
jbunniii said:
Use this to show that M has a subgroup of order 11.

But I cannot prove this, because I can't prove M is a group.

I think that was a typo. Prove that G has a single subgroup of order 11. This should allow you to identify precisely what the elements of order 11 are (and explain why they commute)

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I meant to say "show that G has a subgroup of order 11."

I proved that G has an element of order 11, but subgroup... :confused:

Think of e, x, x^2, x^3, ..., x^10

try to prove this is a subgroup

willem2 said:
Think of e, x, x^2, x^3, ..., x^10

try to prove this is a subgroup

Here x is of order 11, right?

nonaa said:
Here x is of order 11, right?

certainly. It's now easy to find out what (x^m)(x^n), (x^n)^-1 are and that to
prove they also are in the subgroup.

Thank you :)

Related to Proving M is a Subgroup of G: Tips & Help

1. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a larger group that shares the same operation as the larger group. This means that the elements of the subgroup can be combined using the same operation as the elements of the larger group and still remain within the subgroup.

2. What is the process for proving that M is a subgroup of G?

To prove that M is a subgroup of G, you need to show that M satisfies the three conditions for being a subgroup: closure, identity, and inverse. This means that for any two elements in M, their combination using the operation of G will result in another element in M, the identity element of G is also an element of M, and every element in M has an inverse that is also in M.

3. Can you provide some tips for proving that M is a subgroup of G?

One tip is to start by showing that M is a subset of G. Then, use the three conditions of closure, identity, and inverse to prove that M is indeed a subgroup of G. Another helpful tip is to use specific examples and counterexamples to illustrate your points.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving that M is a subgroup of G?

One common mistake is assuming that M is a subgroup without actually proving it. Another mistake is assuming that the operation of G will automatically apply to the elements of M. It's important to show that the operation of G is closed within M and that the identity and inverses also apply to elements in M.

5. Can you provide an example of proving that M is a subgroup of G?

Let M be the set of even integers and G be the set of all integers under addition. To prove that M is a subgroup of G, we need to show that M satisfies the three conditions. First, for any two even integers a and b, their sum will always be an even integer, which means closure is satisfied. Second, the identity element of G is 0, which is also an even integer. Finally, the inverse of any even integer a is -a, which is also an even integer. Therefore, M is a subgroup of G.