Proving No Set Contains All Sets Without Russell's Paradox

In summary: This set is not contained in any other set because it contains itself.Indeed, this proves that no set contains all sets without Russell's paradox.
nikkor180
Greetings: I am attempting to prove that no set contains all sets without Russell's paradox. What I have thus far is this:

Let S be an arbitrary set and suppose S contains S. If X is in S for some X not=S, then S - S cannot be empty. But this is a contradiction; hence if S contains S, then S contains only S. Thus S cannot contain all sets.

Is this argument valid?

Thank you.

Rich B. (note: I am not a student; this is not homework)

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you write your reasoning with formulas?

nikkor180 said:
Let S be an arbitrary set and suppose S contains S.
Do you mean $S\in S$ or $S\subseteq S$?

nikkor180 said:
If X is in S for some X not=S, then S - S cannot be empty.
Why?

Evgeny.Makarov: Thank you for responding to my post.

1) I mean "S is an element of S" (not subset).

Regarding "If X is in S for some X not=S, then S - S cannot be empty", I need to ponder that further. I will respond soon.

Thanks again,

Rich B.

BTW, can you tell me how to access symbols. I clicked on "element of" in the quick index but such came through in preview as \in.

nikkor180 said:
BTW, can you tell me how to access symbols. I clicked on "element of" in the quick index but such came through in preview as \in.

Hello, Rich! (Wave)

To get $\LaTeX$ symbols/commands to render as such, they need to be enclosed with tags. The simplest way to do this is to click the \(\displaystyle \large\Sigma\) button on the toolbar, which will generate [MATH][/MATH] tags for you, with the cursor located between the tags, ready for your input of code. :)

nikkor180 said:
BTW, can you tell me how to access symbols.
You should enclose formulas in dollar signs or [MATH]...[/MATH] tags. The tags can be inserted either manually or by clicking the $\Sigma$ button on the toolbar above the edit region. You can also click "Reply with Quote" to see how other users typed their messages. For more on formulas see http://mathhelpboards.com/latex-tips-tutorials-56/.

Thanks folks.

nikkor180 said:
Greetings: I am attempting to prove that no set contains all sets without Russell's paradox. What I have thus far is this:

Let S be an arbitrary set and suppose S contains S. If X is in S for some X not=S, then S - S cannot be empty. But this is a contradiction; hence if S contains S, then S contains only S. Thus S cannot contain all sets.

Is this argument valid?

Thank you.

Rich B. (note: I am not a student; this is not homework)

This is clearly evident from Cantor's Diagonal Theorem which leads to the conclusion that there is no greatest cardinal number ad hence no set of all sets.
For an easy routine work consider power set.

What is Russell's Paradox?

Russell's Paradox is a mathematical paradox discovered by philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell in 1901. It states that if we consider the set of all sets that do not contain themselves, then the question arises whether this set contains itself or not. This leads to a contradiction, which undermines the foundations of set theory.

How does Russell's Paradox relate to the idea of a set containing all sets?

Russell's Paradox is directly related to the concept of a set containing all sets, also known as the universal set. If we allow for a universal set that contains all other sets, then the paradox arises when we consider the set of all sets that do not contain themselves. This set would have to be a subset of the universal set, but it also leads to a contradiction when we try to determine if it contains itself or not.

Why is it important to prove that no set can contain all sets without Russell's Paradox?

Proving that no set can contain all sets without Russell's Paradox is important because it helps to avoid inconsistencies in set theory. If we were to accept a universal set, it would lead to contradictions and undermine the validity of all mathematical proofs and arguments that rely on set theory. By proving that no such set exists, we can ensure the consistency and reliability of mathematical reasoning.

What methods have been used to prove that no set can contain all sets without Russell's Paradox?

Several methods have been used to prove that no set can contain all sets without Russell's Paradox. One approach is to use axiomatic set theory, which sets out a set of rules and principles for defining sets and their properties. Another method is to use the concept of a proper class, which is a collection of objects that is too large to be considered a set. These methods help to avoid the contradiction that arises in Russell's Paradox.

Are there any potential implications or consequences of proving that no set can contain all sets without Russell's Paradox?

There are no significant implications or consequences of this proof, as it simply helps to clarify and strengthen the foundations of set theory. It does not limit our ability to define and use sets in mathematics, but rather ensures that our reasoning is consistent and reliable. By avoiding Russell's Paradox, we can continue to use sets as a fundamental tool in mathematical analysis and problem-solving.