Proving propositions involving "if and only if"

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    proof
In summary: So is the "if" part the first one and the "only if" part the second one?Yes, the "if" part is the first one and the "only if" part is the second one. This is because the statement is "if and only if," which means you need to prove both directions. The first part is "if," and the second part is "only if."
Mr Davis 97
I am usually pretty good about interpreting what a question is asking when it is in the form, "prove that if p, then q," where p and q are statements. However, I cannot seem to understand how to interpret when it is in the form "prove that p if and only if q." The statement I am working with currently is this: "Prove that a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord if and only if the chord is bisected by the radius. Assume the chord is not the diameter of the circle."

How do I begin proving this? What I mean is how can I decompose this proposition to clearer propositions that can be proved individually? I looked online and I couldn't find much about iff statements, so help would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"P if and only if Q" means that you need to show that P and Q are either both true or both false. Hence, you need to exclude the possibility that one is true while the other is false. That is, you need to show that "P implies Q" as well as "Q implies P".

So, for your example,

P = a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord
Q = the chord is bisected by the radius

Now prove the implication "if P, then Q". Next, prove the implication "if Q, then P". For both implications, use any method of your choice (= direct proof, contraposition, or contradiction).

Likes Mr Davis 97 and mfb
Generally, if you have to prove: p <=> q, you have to proof p=> q and q=>p.

In logic, p<=> q is equivalent to (p=> q) ∧ (q =>p) (∧ is the logic symbol for 'and').

In your case, when you have to proof that a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord if and only if the chord is bisected by the radius, you need to show that:

If a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord, then the chord is bisected by the radius. (=>)

AND

If the chord is bisected by the radius, then a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord. (<=)

Likes Mr Davis 97
If you're good at ##p → q## then also at ##q → p##. Both together is ##p ↔ q##.
What makes it a bit of messy is the additional condition ##(c)## "assume the chord isn't a diameter". Does it belong to ##p## or to ##q##?
Such additional conditions are often not very well stated and one has to decide where to place them:
## c → (p ↔ q)## or
## (c ∧ p) ↔ q## or
## (c ∧ p) → q → p## or
## p ↔ (c ∧ q)## or
## (c ∧ q) → p → q## or
## (p ∧ c) ↔ (q ∧ c)##?

(Remark @ logicians: I haven't checked whether some of these are already equivalent.)
Often it is clear by the context, or ##c## is a special, often trivial case of either ##p## or ##q##.

Here it is (I think) ## (c ∧ p) → q → p##, where ##c= \text{ (chord is no diameter) }## , ##p= \text{ (radius bisects chord) }## and ##q= \text{ (radius perpendicular to chord) }##.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Here it is (I think) ## (c ∧ p) → q → p##, where ##c= \text{ (chord is no diameter) }## , ##p= \text{ (radius bisects chord) }## and ##q= \text{ (radius perpendicular to chord) }##.
That is the best you can prove, but from the way the problem statement is written I would expect ##(p ∧ c) ↔ (q ∧ c)## which is equivalent to ##c → (p ↔ q)##

That all helps a ton. But given the statement "Prove that a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord if and only if the chord is bisected by the radius. Assume the chord is not the diameter of the circle," I am still not completely sure which part to assign p and which part to assign q. In simpler cases where, for example, we have "If I am a mammal, then I am human," it is obvious that p = I am a mammal, and q = I am a human. But when we have something like "I am mammal if and only if I am a human," I can't really decipher which part of the statement is assigned to p and which is assigned to q.

Mr Davis 97 said:
But when we have something like "I am mammal if and only if I am a human," I can't really decipher which part of the statement is assigned to p and which is assigned to q.
That doesn't matter in "if and only if", aka "iff" statements. It is symmetric:
##(p ↔ q) ↔ ((p→q) ∧ (q→p))##

So for "Prove that a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord if and only if the chord is bisected by the radius. Assume the chord is not the diameter of the circle," I could just assign P to "a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord" and Q to "the chord is bisected by the radius," and then go on to show that "if P then Q" and "if Q then P" in any order I choose?

Prove that a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord if and only if the chord is bisected by the radius

The assignment becomes obvious if you highlight they keywords.

Yes. Plus you have "a chord is not a diameter" as given at hand whenever needed or only in one direction as mentioned by mfb in #5.

Alright. Also, for the proposition "Prove that a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord if and only if the chord is bisected by the radius," is there an "if" part and an "only if" part? In proving this statement, my book starts with "For the 'if' part, we prove that if a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord, then the chord is bisected by the radius. For the 'only if' part, we prove that if a chord is bisected by a radius then the radius of a circle is perpendicular to the chord." What does he mean by "if" and "only if" parts?

If-part:

Prove that a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord if the chord is bisected by the radiusOnly if part:

Prove that a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord only if the chord is bisected by the radius
Which is easier to understand if you swap the order:
Prove that [a] chord is bisected by the radius if a radius of a circle is perpendicular to [the] chord

Likes Mr Davis 97
You may restructure those sentences as

"Prove that a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord if and only if the chord is bisected by the radius,"

"Prove that a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord the chord is bisected by the radius,"

If "a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord" then "the chord is bisected by the radius," and only if "the chord is bisected by the radius," then "a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord"

a) If "a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord" then "the chord is bisected by the radius,"
and
b) if "the chord is bisected by the radius," then "a radius of a circle is perpendicular to a chord"

To call it if-part (⇒) and only if-part (⇐) is IMO sometimes confusing. Usually it gets clear by the proof. You can also say that the if-part (⇒) shows, that the statement on right hand side is a necessary condition (for the condition on the left to hold), and the only if-part (⇐) that this statement on the right hand side is also a sufficient condition (for the condition on the left to hold).

So let's see. Let me see how I can apply to this next proof: "Prove that the product of two integers is odd if and only if both of the integers are odd."

The "if" part:
the product of two integers is odd if both of the integers are odd

The "only if" part:
the product of two integers is odd only if both of the integers are odd
or
both of the integers are odd if the product of the two integers is odd

So if I were to prove the "if" part, how would it look in terms of P and Q (such that if P then Q)? Would P = both of the integers are odd and Q = the product of two integers is odd?

Why would it not be P = the product of two integers is odd and Q = both of the integers are odd?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Why would it not be P = the product of two integers is odd and Q = both of the integers are odd?
Because, as fresh_42 wrote in post #7, there is a symmetry in P and Q. (The irony, however, is that in that post, equivalence itself is used in the explanation.) In words: Do you agree that "if and only if" means that you need to prove

"P implies Q" and "Q implies P"

? If you do agree, then notice what happens when P and Q swap places: We prove: "Q implies P" and "P implies Q", which is exactly the same as in the line above. So, it does not matter which statement is called "P" and which is called "Q".

Alright, I think it all makes sense. Just to be clear, the irrelevance of which part is P or Q is only for biconditional propositions, right?

For example, if we just had to prove the conditional statement that "the product of two integers is odd if both of the integers are odd," P would have to be "both of the integers are odd" and Q would have to be "the product of two integers is odd," such that if P then Q?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So let's see. Let me see how I can apply to this next proof: "Prove that the product of two integers is odd if and only if both of the integers are odd."

The "if" part:
the product of two integers is odd if both of the integers are odd
⇒ That is if both of the integers are odd then the product of two integers is odd

So far so good.

The "only if" part:
the product of two integers is odd only if both of the integers are odd
⇐ That is if the product of two integers is odd then both of the integers are odd

Yes. But as a stand-alone version it is confusing.

or
both of the integers are odd if the product of the two integers is odd
⇐ That is if the product of two integers is odd then both of the integers are odd

Yes, and better to read / see.

So if I were to prove the "if" part, how would it look in terms of P and Q (such that if P then Q)? Would P = both of the integers are odd and Q = the product of two integers is odd?
Again. It is symmetric. No matter what you choose P and Q to be.
Usually one would take it as it is:
"Prove that the product of two integers is odd (P) if and only if both of the integers are odd (Q)."

In this case your splitting above reads:
a) Q ⇒ P (if part = P is necessary for Q)
b) P ⇒ Q (only if part = P is sufficient for Q)

Mr Davis 97 said:
Just to be clear, the irrelevance of which part is P or Q is only for biconditional propositions, right?
Right.
Mr Davis 97 said:
For example, if we just had to prove the conditional statement that "the product of two integers is odd if both of the integers are odd," P would have to be "both of the integers are odd" and Q would have to be "the product of two integers is odd," such that if P then Q?
Right.

You can assign P and Q in the opposite way but then you have to prove Q=>P instead of P=>Q. They are just variable names, they don't have a deeper meaning.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What does it mean for a statement to be "proven"?

When a statement is proven, it means that it has been logically and mathematically shown to be true. This involves providing a clear and valid argument that supports the statement and leaves no room for doubt.

2. What does "if and only if" mean in a proposition?

"If and only if" is a logical connective used to express a biconditional statement, which means that the truth of one statement is dependent on the truth of another statement, and vice versa. It is often represented by the symbol "↔" and can be read as "if and only if", "exactly when", or "iff".

3. How is a proposition involving "if and only if" proven?

In order to prove a proposition involving "if and only if", you must show that both the statement and its converse (switching the order of the statements) are true. This can be done through logical reasoning, mathematical equations, or by providing examples that support both statements.

4. What is the difference between "if" and "only if" in a proposition?

In a proposition, "if" and "only if" have different meanings. "If" implies that the truth of one statement leads to the truth of another, while "only if" implies that the truth of one statement is a necessary condition for the truth of another. In other words, "if" is a sufficient condition, while "only if" is a necessary condition.

5. Can a proposition involving "if and only if" be proven using a counterexample?

No, a counterexample cannot be used to prove a proposition involving "if and only if". This is because a counterexample only disproves a statement, but does not provide a valid argument for its truth. In order to prove a proposition involving "if and only if", you must provide logical reasoning or mathematical evidence that supports both statements in the biconditional statement.