Proving Summation of \frac{1}{i(i+1)} = \frac{n}{n+1}

• Thread starter neom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, to show that \sum_{i=1}^n\;\frac1{i(i+1)}=\frac{n}{n+1}, it can be written as \sum_{i=1}^n\;\frac1{i}-\sum_{i=1}^n\;\frac1{i+1} and simplified using the telescoping method. This involves combining the two sums, getting common denominators, and subtracting the numerators. It is important to avoid drinking while solving calculus problems.
neom
How can I show that [tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\;\frac1{i(i+1)}=\frac{n}{n+1}[/tex]

I've already figured out i can write it as [tex]\sum_{i=1}^n\;\frac1{i}-\sum_{i=1}^n\;\frac1{i+1}[/tex]

but as I'm a little drunk I can't figure out how to get from there to the formula.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong sextion, but twas in my calculus book.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Don't drink and derive.

2) What would happen, say, if you wrote the first sum as [itex]1 + \sum_{i=2}^n (1/i)[/itex] and then changed variables in that sum to something convenient?

It is called a telescoping series. The idea is only one term from each sum remain after all others cancel.

If I understand what you are asking, it is just
[tex]\sum_{i= 1}^n\frac{1}{i}+ \sum_{i= 1}^n\frac{1}{i+ 1}= \sum_{i= 1}^n\left(\frac{1}{i}- \frac{1}{i+ 1}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \sum_{i= 1}^n \left(\frac{i+1}{i(i+1)}- \frac{i}{i(i+1)}\right)= \sum_{i= 1}^n\frac{1}{i(i+1)}[/tex]

In other words, combine the two sums, get common denominators, and subtract the numerators.

Telescoping result. 1 - 1/(n+1) = n/(n+1)

1. What is the formula for proving summation of 1/i(i+1)?

The formula for proving summation of 1/i(i+1) is n/(n+1), where n represents the number of terms in the series.

2. How do you show that 1/i(i+1) equals n/(n+1)?

To show that 1/i(i+1) equals n/(n+1), you can use mathematical induction. This involves proving that the formula holds true for n=1 and then assuming it holds true for n=k and proving that it also holds true for n=k+1.

3. Can you provide an example of using the formula to prove summation of 1/i(i+1)?

Yes, for example, if we want to prove that 1/1(1+1) + 1/2(2+1) + 1/3(3+1) = 3/4, we can use mathematical induction to show that the formula n/(n+1) holds true for n=3.

4. What is the significance of proving 1/i(i+1) equals n/(n+1)?

Proving that 1/i(i+1) equals n/(n+1) allows us to easily find the sum of an infinite series without having to add up each term individually. This formula is also useful in various mathematical proofs and calculations.

5. Are there any other methods for proving summation of 1/i(i+1)?

Yes, there are other methods such as using telescoping series or using the Euler-Maclaurin formula. However, mathematical induction is the most commonly used method for proving this summation.