Analytical form of a summation

In summary, the conversation discusses a double sum equation involving a stochastic distribution, specifically a Gaussian. The goal is to find a closed form equivalent of the expression, with #U# and #T# being constants in the equation. The values of #u_i# come from a Gaussian distribution, and the equation involves cosine and sine functions. The conversation also speculates that the equation may relate to the motion of particles.
tworitdash
I have a equation with a double sum. However, one of the variables in one of the sums comes from a stochastic distribution (Gaussian to be specific). How can I get a closed form equivalent of this expression? The [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex]are constants in the equation.

$$ \sum_{k = 0}^{N_k-1} \bigg [ \big[ \sum_{i}^{N_i} \cos(\frac{4\pi}{\lambda} u_i k T) - \cos(\frac{4\pi}{\lambda} U k T) \big]^2 + \big[ \sum_{i = 1}^{N_i} \sin(\frac{4\pi}{\lambda} u_i k T) - \sin(\frac{4\pi}{\lambda} U k T) \big]^2 \bigg]$$

$$ u_i \thicksim \mathcal{N}(\mu_{u}, \sigma_{u}) $$

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see what is ##u_i## as a function of number i.

anuttarasammyak said:
I do not see what is ##u_i## as a function of number i.
The values of ##u_i## come from a Gaussian Distribution I explain in the second equation. It is a random sample drawn from the same distribution.

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak
Expecting that average including sin is zero, the formula would become
[tex]N_i^2 \sum_k <\cos u, k>^2 - 2N_i \sum_k <\cos u,k> (\cos U,k)+ N_k[/tex]
approximately for large N_i under random sampling for Gaussian distribution where
##<\cos u, k> ## is average of the cos u function given for i samplings with given constant k.
with ##<sin, k>=0##

Wondering what sort of problem gave you this monster sums. Let me guess something about the velocities of molecules of a gas at temperature T and internal energy U?

Likes tworitdash
Delta2 said:
Wondering what sort of problem gave you this monster sums. Let me guess something about the velocities of molecules of a gas at temperature T and internal energy U?
You almost got it. These are particle velocities #u_i#, but the other parameters are related to motion rather than temperature. #T# is the time step, #k# is the time index. This is sort of a likelihood (DFT) equation where the cyclic velocity (frequency) is #U#. It actually comes from a complex exponential expression, where I have separated the real and the imaginary parts (cos and sin) to have a better function for likelihood. #N_i# are the number of particles and #N_k# are the number of time steps.

• Love
Likes Delta2

1. What is the analytical form of a summation?

The analytical form of a summation is a mathematical expression that represents the sum of a series of numbers. It is written in a compact form using mathematical symbols and can be used to calculate the sum of a series without having to actually add up each individual term.

2. How is the analytical form of a summation different from the standard form?

The analytical form of a summation is different from the standard form in that it uses mathematical symbols and notation to represent the sum, while the standard form uses numerical values and the plus sign to indicate addition. The analytical form is also more concise and can be used to represent a wide range of summation problems.

3. What are the benefits of using the analytical form of a summation?

Using the analytical form of a summation can save time and effort in calculating the sum of a series, especially when dealing with large numbers or complex series. It also allows for a more concise representation of the sum and can be easily manipulated and used in further calculations.

4. How do you determine the limits of a summation in analytical form?

The limits of a summation in analytical form are determined by the index variable, which is typically represented by the letter "n". The lower limit is the starting value of n, and the upper limit is the ending value of n. These limits are usually indicated by subscripts on the summation symbol.

5. Can the analytical form of a summation be used for infinite series?

Yes, the analytical form of a summation can be used for infinite series. In such cases, the upper limit of the summation is represented by the infinity symbol (∞). However, determining the sum of an infinite series using the analytical form may require advanced mathematical techniques such as limits and convergence tests.