Proving that a certain closed interval exists

In summary, we have a twice continuously differentiable function $f$ on the open interval $(a,b)$ with a root at $c$, and for any $x$ in this interval, the derivative of $f$ does not equal $0$. From this, we can define a new function $g$ on $(a,b)$ and show that there exists a neighbourhood of $c$ contained in $(a,b)$ where the derivative of $g$ is always less than or equal to $1/2$. This is done using $\epsilon-\delta$ arguments and the Extreme Value Theorem.
Usagi
Let $a$, $b$ be reals and $f: (a,b) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ be twice continuously differentiable. Assume that there exists $c \in (a,b)$ such that $f(c) = 0$ and that for any $x \in (a,b)$, $f'(x) \neq 0$. Define $g: (a,b) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ by $\displaystyle g(x) = x -\frac{f(x)}{f'(x)}$ and note that $g(c) = c$.

Deduce that there exists $\delta_1 >0$ such that $I_1 = [c -\delta_1, c+\delta_1]$ is contained in $I = (a,b)$ and for any $x$, $|g'(x)| \le 1/2$.

Query 1: Is the question missing a phrase after "for any $x$", should it say "for any $x \in I_1$"?

Query 2: My (incomplete) attempt so far: I've shown that $g(x)$ is differentiable on $I = (a,b)$ and has a continuous derivative on $I$ with $\displaystyle g'(x) = \frac{f(x) f''(x)}{[f'(x)]^2}$, also $g'(c) = 0$. Also, since we know that $(a,b)$ is an open set, then for any $c \in (a,b)$, let $\epsilon = \min\{c-a, b-c\}$ then clearly $(c-\epsilon, c+\epsilon) \subset I$. Now pick $\delta_1$ such that $0<\delta_1 <\epsilon$ and consider the closed interval $I_1 = [c-\delta_1, c+\delta_1]$. So $I_1 \subset (c-\epsilon, c+\epsilon)$ and hence $I_1$ is contained in $I$.

I am just not sure how to show that for any $x \in I_1$ (?), $|g'(x)| \le 1/2$. Maybe something to do with the Extreme Value Theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Query 1: Yes, I think that the question must refer to $I_1$.

Query 2: Your "incomplete attempt" is practically complete. You have shown that $g$ is continuously differentiable and that $g'( c ) = 0.$ If a continuous function is $0$ at $c$ then it must be small in some neighbourhood of $c$ ...

Thanks! However, how do you that this neighbourhood is contained in (a,b)?

Usagi said:
However, how do you that this neighbourhood is contained in (a,b)?
If it is not, make it smaller.

I understand this intuitively, but how can I make it rigorous using $\epsilon-\delta$ arguments?

Opalg said:
If a continuous function is $0$ at $c$ then it must be small in some neighbourhood of $c$ ...

Usagi said:
I understand this intuitively, but how can I make it rigorous using $\epsilon-\delta$ arguments?
It's a general fact that
\[
(\forall x\in A.\;P(x))\land B\subseteq A\implies\forall x\in B.\; P(x).
\]
You agreed that there exists a $\delta>0$ such that
\[
\forall x\in(c-\delta,c+\delta).\;|g'(x)|\le 1/2.
\]
There exists a $0<\delta_1<\min(\delta,c-a,b-c)\le\delta$ such that $[c-\delta_1,c+\delta_1]\subseteq (c-\delta,c+\delta)$. Therefore,
\[
\forall x\in[c-\delta_1,c+\delta_1].\;|g'(x)|\le 1/2.
\]

Ah yup, makes perfect sense, thank you!

Related to Proving that a certain closed interval exists

1. What is a closed interval?

A closed interval is a set of real numbers that includes both of its endpoints. It is denoted by using square brackets, such as [a, b].

2. Can a closed interval exist for any two real numbers?

Yes, a closed interval can exist for any two real numbers as long as the first number is less than or equal to the second number. For example, the closed interval [3, 8] exists, but [8, 3] does not.

3. How do you prove that a certain closed interval exists?

To prove that a certain closed interval exists, you must show that there are two real numbers, a and b, such that a is less than or equal to b. Then, you must show that all real numbers between a and b are also included in the interval.

4. Why is it important to prove the existence of a closed interval?

Proving the existence of a closed interval is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to define and study sets of real numbers. Closed intervals are used in many mathematical concepts, such as continuity, differentiability, and integration.

5. Can a closed interval exist in any dimension?

Yes, a closed interval can exist in any dimension. In one dimension, it is a line segment. In two dimensions, it is a rectangle. In three dimensions, it is a rectangular prism. And in higher dimensions, it is a hyperrectangle. The concept of a closed interval can also be extended to non-Euclidean geometries.