1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that a function is Riemann integrable

1. Feb 6, 2006 #1
    "Let (r_n) be any list of rational numbers in [0,1]. Let (a_n) be a sequence such that 1>a_1>a_2>...>a_n>... converging to 0. Let f be defined such that

f=0 if x is irrational
    =a_n if x is equal to r_x

Prove that f is Riemann integrable."

We are doing integrals from Darboux' approach, so no tagged partitions or whatnot. I have to somehow show that the upper sum L(f,P) and lower sum L(f,P), for some partition P, differ by less than a given e>0.

L(f,P) = 0 for any partition, so |U(f,P) - L(f,P)|=U(f,P). I have no idea how to proceed, because if p is a partition of n equal parts, [tex]U(f,P) \leq \sum_{i=0}^{n}\frac{1}{n}[/tex] which diverges. I am unable to refine the inequality.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.You need to take advantage of the fact that the [itex]a_n[/itex] converge to zero.
    2.You don't know that L(f,P) is going to be 0 since the [itex]a_n[/itex] can be less than zero.

Hint:
    If you know that for n>N, a_n < 1/k can you produce an upper bound for U(f,P) as the norm of the partition goes to zero?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  4. Feb 6, 2006 #3
    a_n is a strictly decreasing sequence converging to 0, a_n is therefore never less than 0.

I think I have an idea on how to proceed, regardless.

5. Feb 6, 2006 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

<opens mouth, switches feet>
    Oh, I missed that. It makes things a bit more convenient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?