Proving that limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 does not exist

• Thread starter Seydlitz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about proving the limit ##\lim_{x\to 0} f(x) = DNE##, where ##f(x)=\frac{1}{x}##, through the negation of the limit definition or showing that the limit from left and right are not equal. The key is to find an x value that satisfies the condition ##0<|x-a|<\delta## but not ##|f(x)-l|<\epsilon##, and choose any real number l as a candidate for the limit. The speaker is unsure of how to find this x value, but realizes that the function becomes infinitely large in absolute value as delta is reduced. They also mention that the limit obviously does
Seydlitz

Homework Statement

This is the classical problem of proving that ##\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = DNE\text{ where }f(x)=\frac{1}{x}##

I know there are many solutions to this problem but I just want to do it myself with your hints from scratch.

The Attempt at a Solution

If we want to prove that a limit does not exist we can show the negation of the limit definition or show that the limit from left and right are not equal.

The negation of the limit definition basically boils down to the fact that there is some ##x## which satisfies ##0<|x-a|<\delta## but not ##|f(x)-l|<\epsilon##, alternatively it satisfies ##|f(x)-l|>\epsilon##. I'm a bit lost on how to find this ##x## rigorously. It seems that there are always many different methods but I still can't get the feel of it intuitively.

What is clear to me is this will always be true ##0<|x|<\delta## and the function will go very large as delta is reduced. That means it doesn't satisfy the ##|f(x)-l|<\epsilon## condition and that ##|\frac{1}{x}-l|>\epsilon## But what is ##l## in this case and how to complete the proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Choose any real number [itex]l[/itex] as a candidate for the limit, and find an [itex]x, 0 < |x| < \delta [/itex] such that [itex]\frac{1}{x} - l > 1 [/itex]. This should be easy since, as you said, 1/x becomes infinitely large in absolute value (but you have to prove this).

Since the limit obviously does not exist, it makes no sense to ask about "what [itex]l[/itex] is". ;)

Boorglar said:
Choose any real number [itex]l[/itex] as a candidate for the limit, and find an [itex]x, 0 < |x| < \delta [/itex] such that [itex]\frac{1}{x} - l > 1 [/itex]. This should be easy since, as you said, 1/x becomes infinitely large in absolute value (but you have to prove this).

Since the limit obviously does not exist, it makes no sense to ask about "what [itex]l[/itex] is". ;)

Hmm I guess we can have ##x## smaller than ##\delta## and ##\frac{1}{\epsilon+|l|}##. The absolute value around should make sure that the inequality work if x is negative or positive. Is this correct?

Related to Proving that limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 does not exist

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as the input variable gets closer and closer to a specific value. In other words, it is the value that the function is approaching but never actually reaches.

2. How do you prove that the limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 does not exist?

To prove that the limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 does not exist, we need to show that the function does not approach a single value from both sides of 0. This can be done by finding two different values for the limit from the left and right side of 0, or by showing that the function becomes unbounded (approaches infinity) as x gets closer to 0.

3. Can you give an example of a graph that illustrates the limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 does not exist?

Yes, the graph of 1/x has a vertical asymptote at x = 0, meaning that the function becomes unbounded as x approaches 0. This indicates that the limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 does not exist.

4. What are some common mistakes when trying to prove that the limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 does not exist?

One common mistake is assuming that since the function has a vertical asymptote at x = 0, the limit does not exist. However, this is not always the case as there are functions with vertical asymptotes that still have a limit at that point. Another mistake is not considering the limit from both the left and right side of 0, as the function may approach different values from each side.

5. How does proving that the limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 does not exist impact calculus and other areas of mathematics?

Proving the non-existence of a limit is an important concept in calculus as it allows us to determine where a function is discontinuous. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of a function and making predictions about its values. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as differential equations and complex analysis.