Proving The Continuous Theorem for Sequences

In summary, you are trying to solve a problem that is difficult because you do not understand the terms that are being used.
Lucretius

Homework Statement

4.8 Show the following continuous theorem for sequences: if [tex]a_n \rightarrow L[/tex] and f is a real valued function continuous at L, then [tex]bn = f(a_n) \rightarrow f(L)[/tex].

Homework Equations

No real relevant equations here. Just good old proof I'm thinking.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I stared at this for an hour today. I was able to complete the rest of the assignment but this one has me stumped. I realize that [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}a_n=L[/tex] and that for a real-valued function to be continuous at L that [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}f(x)=f(x_0)=L.[/tex] I don't know what to do from here though. How do I get f(L) from f(x0)=L, and then get f(a_n) from just plain old a_n. This thing makes intuitive sense to me; it's blatantly obvious it's right - proving it has ... well.. proven to be really hard!

Physics news on Phys.org
When something seems like it should be obvious, you might want to write out some definitions. Epsilons, deltas, and all that.

Well that's the thing; I thought I could just approach it nicely, but the concepts seem to be two different things; it's as if I want to prove a finite limit at infinity. There is a proof I thought was similar to it, in the notes he gave us. However, I fleshed out a few epsilon delta definitions; drew a nice picture so I could see what was going on. My main problem is I have no clue how to get to f(a_n) from a_n, and from f(x0)=L to f(L).

It looks like you might be getting confused by using two different [itex]L[/itex]'s. Typically, the [itex]a_n[/itex] and [itex]b_n[/itex] will not converge to the same value.

Really, this is straightforward stuff... given some [itex]\epsilon[/itex] greater than [itex]0[/itex] can you show that there is some [itex]N[/itex] so that [itex]n>N \Rightarrow |f(a_n)-f(L)| < \epsilon[/itex]?

Hmm, I must not be seeing it...

I get that it's going to follow the basic form of a proof. For all epsilon > 0, there exists an N such that, for all n>N, then |f(a_n)-f(L)|<epsilon. The N is more than likely going to be some integer part of some number plus one. I get how all that works. The problem is... I'm used to an |f(x)-L|, where i know what the L and f(x) are. I have no clue as to what f(L) or f(a_n) are, and I don't see how I can understand what they are from the given information. Sorry; I hate missing obvious stuff =(

It's a little abstract. Do you know if there's a [itex]\delta[/itex] so that:
[tex]|a_n-L|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(a_n)-f(L)| < \epsilon[/tex]

I'm following you and it looks like I'll be proving a limit at a point, but I'm still stuck with how we can relate a_n to f(a_n), and L to f(L). If I can somehow extract the a_n and the L from the f, I could do it...again, thanks for the help so far and sorry I'm still not quite getting what to do...

1. What is the Continuous Theorem for Sequences?

The Continuous Theorem for Sequences is a mathematical concept that states that a sequence of real numbers converges to a real number if and only if it is continuous at that point.

2. What is the importance of proving the Continuous Theorem for Sequences?

Proving the Continuous Theorem for Sequences is important because it provides a precise definition of continuity for sequences, which is a fundamental concept in calculus and other branches of mathematics. It also allows us to make more accurate predictions and calculations in real-world applications.

3. How is the Continuous Theorem for Sequences proven?

The Continuous Theorem for Sequences can be proven using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity. This involves showing that for any given epsilon (a small positive number), there exists a delta (a small positive number) such that the distance between the terms of the sequence and the limit is less than epsilon whenever the distance between the terms of the sequence and the limit is less than delta.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Continuous Theorem for Sequences?

The Continuous Theorem for Sequences has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of a stock market index, the change in temperature over time, or the speed of a moving object.

5. Are there any limitations to the Continuous Theorem for Sequences?

One limitation of the Continuous Theorem for Sequences is that it only applies to convergent sequences of real numbers. It does not apply to sequences that diverge or to sequences of complex numbers. Additionally, it may not hold for certain types of discontinuous functions, such as those with jump discontinuities.