Proving the Existence of m for (1-1/m)^n > 1-ε in Real Analysis

In summary, BrownianMan demonstrates that there exists a positive integer m such that \left (1-\frac{1}{m} \right )^{n}> 1-\varepsilon for any integer n.
BrownianMan
Let n ≥ 1 be an integer and ε > 0 a real number. Without making reference or use of nth roots, prove that there exists a positive integer m such that

[tex]\left (1- \frac{1}{m} \right )^{n}> 1-\varepsilon [/tex]

How would I go about proving this? Would I just solve for m?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BrownianMan! :smile:
BrownianMan said:

Yup! :biggrin:

BrownianMan said:
Let n ≥ 1 be an integer and ε > 0 a real number. Without making reference or use of nth roots, prove that there exists a positive integer m such that
Just solving for m would require use of an nth root, right ? ... So, "No." to that.

BrownianMan said:

What are you allowed to use? For example, using Calculus you can derive the inequality [tex] (1-x)^n > 1-nx , [/tex] for [itex] 0 < x < 1.[/itex]

RGV

Can't I say

[tex]\left ( 1-\frac{1}{m} \right )^{n} =1-\sum_{k=1}^{n}\binom{n}{k}\left ( \frac{1}{m} \right )^{k}=1-\frac{1}{m}\left (\sum_{k=1}^{n}\binom{n}{k} \left (\frac{1}{m} \right )^{k-1} \right )[/tex]
[tex]\geq 1-\frac{1}{m}\left (2^{n}-1 \right )[/tex]

So then

[tex]1-\frac{1}{m}\left (2^{n}-1 \right ) > 1 - \varepsilon [/tex]
[tex]\frac{2^{n}-1}{\varepsilon }<m [/tex]

^Would this be right?

Hi BrownianMan! :smile:
BrownianMan said:
Can't I say

[tex]\left ( 1-\frac{1}{m} \right )^{n} =1-\sum_{k=1}^{n}\binom{n}{k}\left ( \frac{1}{m} \right )^{k}=1-\frac{1}{m}\left (\sum_{k=1}^{n}\binom{n}{k} \left (\frac{1}{m} \right )^{k-1} \right )[/tex]
[tex]\geq 1-\frac{1}{m}\left (2^{n}-1 \right )[/tex]

(Your ∑ needs a (-1)k inside it. :wink:)

Perhaps I'm missing the obvious, but where does your 2n come from? :confused:

Related to Proving the Existence of m for (1-1/m)^n > 1-ε in Real Analysis

1. What is real analysis?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and functions on those numbers. It includes topics such as limits, continuity, derivatives, and integrals.

2. What are the key concepts in real analysis?

Some key concepts in real analysis include sequences, series, limits, continuity, differentiability, and integrability.

3. How is real analysis used in other fields?

Real analysis is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It provides a rigorous foundation for mathematical modeling and problem-solving in these areas.

4. What are the differences between real analysis and calculus?

Real analysis is considered a more advanced and rigorous version of calculus. While calculus primarily deals with the study of functions and their derivatives and integrals, real analysis delves deeper into the underlying theory and properties of these functions and operations.

5. What are some common applications of real analysis?

Real analysis has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is also used in probability and statistics, numerical analysis, and optimization problems.