Proving trigonometric functions

In summary, trigonometric functions are mathematical functions used to relate the angles and sides of a right triangle, including sine, cosine, and tangent. To prove these functions, geometric, algebraic, or unit circle proofs can be used. The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane, and is used to relate trigonometric values to coordinates. The Pythagorean identity states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. Trigonometric functions are important in various fields, such as mathematics, physics, and engineering, as they can be used to solve problems involving angles and
chwala
Gold Member
Mod note: Moved from a technical math forum, so this post is missing the homework template
i am trying to prove that ##1/sec∅-tan∅ ≡ sec ∅ + tan∅##
this is how i attempted it, i tried to show that the left hand side is equal to the right...
## 1/ 1/(cos∅-sin∅)/cos∅##
where i end up with
## (cos∅)/(1-sin ∅)## where this is ≡ ## (1+sin ∅)/(cos∅)##
taking ## cos^2∅/1-sin∅## divide by ##1+sin∅/cos∅## is equal to 1 (this is my proof), my concern is can we reduce
and show that ## cos∅/1-sin∅≡1+sin∅/cos∅## without necessarily dividing as i did it

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please rewrite that, and this time use brackets appropriately. Either use \frac{a}{b} in latex to write a fraction with numerator 'a' and denominator 'b', or simply throw brackets in when multiple terms are either in the numerator or denominator.

While I know that you intended to write

[tex]\frac{1}{\sec\theta -\tan\theta}=\sec\theta+\tan\theta[/tex]

I first interpreted what you wrote as

[tex]\frac{1}{\sec\theta} -\tan\theta=\sec\theta+\tan\theta[/tex]

chwala said:
where this is ≡ ## (1+sin ∅)/(cos∅)##
Which is then clearly equal to [itex]\sec\theta+\tan\theta[/itex].

chwala said:
taking ## cos^2∅/1-sin∅## divide by ##1+sin∅/cos∅## is equal to 1 (this is my proof), my concern is can we reduce
and show that ## cos∅/1-sin∅≡1+sin∅/cos∅## without necessarily dividing as i did it
Just multiply the numerator and denominator by [itex]1+\sin\theta[/itex].

[tex]\frac{\cos\theta}{1-\sin\theta}\cdot \frac{1+\sin\theta}{1+\sin\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\cos\theta(1+\sin\theta)}{1-\sin^2\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\cos\theta(1+\sin\theta)}{\cos^2\theta}[/tex]

Likes chwala
Thanks Mentallic i like Maths;)

thanks

Last edited:
You're welcome :)

Also, notice something. We want to prove that

[tex]\frac{1}{\sec\theta-\tan\theta}=\sec\theta+\tan\theta[/tex]

So what if we simply multiplied the LHS by the conjugate of the denominator, resulting in

[tex]\frac{1}{\sec\theta-\tan\theta}\cdot \frac{\sec\theta+\tan\theta}{\sec\theta+\tan\theta}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\sec\theta+\tan\theta}{\sec^2\theta-\tan^2\theta}[/tex]

and at this point we know that it's supposed to be equal to the RHS (since you're expecting the result to be true), so clearly the denominator must be equal to 1. Well can we show that?

[tex]\sec^2\theta-\tan^2\theta=1[/tex] should remind you of the identity

[tex]\sec^2\theta=1+\tan^2\theta[/tex]

so if you mention this identity, then you can say that the denominator is equal to 1 and hence you've proved it without ever converting to sin and cos.

Likes chwala

What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that are used to relate the angles and sides of a right triangle. The three main trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

How do you prove trigonometric functions?

To prove trigonometric functions, you can use geometric proofs, algebraic proofs, or proofs using the unit circle. These proofs involve using the properties and definitions of trigonometric functions to show that they are true.

What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It is used in trigonometry to relate the values of sine, cosine, and tangent to the coordinates of a point on the circle.

What is the Pythagorean identity?

The Pythagorean identity is a fundamental identity in trigonometry that states that for any angle in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This can be written as c^2 = a^2 + b^2, where c is the length of the hypotenuse and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides.

Why are trigonometric functions important?

Trigonometric functions are important in many fields, including mathematics, physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to solve problems involving angles and distances, and have applications in fields such as astronomy, surveying, and architecture.