1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Trigonometric Identites

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

tan x + 1/tan x - 1 = sec x + csc x/sec x - csc x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ive tried working with the right side and have gotten as far as sin x/cosxsinx - cos x/cosxsinx

Im not sure if im just out to lunch, or on the right track. Any help would be awesome!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your expression is ambiguous the way you have written it. (Use either brackets or LaTeX)

Do you mean [tex]\frac{\tan(x)+1}{\tan(x)-1}=\frac{\sec(x)+\csc(x)}{\sec(x)-\csc(x)}[/tex] ???

If so, try working with the LHS: Express everything in terms of sines and cosines and then divide both the numerator and denominator by [itex]\sin(x)[/itex]
  4. Jan 14, 2009 #3
    im not getting it. should i turn the 1 into sines or cosines? Or even how do I know to do that?
  5. Jan 14, 2009 #4
    No you should turn the tan into sin/cos and the find common denominators, cancel, etc. etc.
  6. Jan 14, 2009 #5
    Oh I did that too.

I had sin/cos + cos/cos all divided by sin/cos - cos/cos
  7. Jan 14, 2009 #6
    Well a/c + b/c = (a+b)/c and also (a/b)/(c/d) = (ad)/(bc) I heard maybe you should use that.
  8. Jan 14, 2009 #7
    Well I heard that gives me sin x cos x + cos^2 x / sin x cos x - cos ^2 x
  9. Jan 14, 2009 #8
    Umm why haven't you cancelled the cos
  10. Jan 14, 2009 #9
    Your right, now I have sin x + cos x / sin x - cos x ?
  11. Jan 14, 2009 #10
    Now compare that to what you are trying to get to...
  12. Jan 14, 2009 #11
    I got it. I went with the RHS side though, and converted it to the LHS. Thanks for your help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?