Proving Vector Identities Using the Permutation Tensor and Kroenecker Delta

In summary, we can use the Levi-Civita Tensor/Kroenecker Delta to prove that (AxB)x(CxD) = (A.BxD).C-(A.BxC).D by expanding the brackets and using the epsilon/delta relationship.
Stuart Caffre

Homework Statement

Prove using the Levi-Civita Tensor/Kroenecker Delta that:
(AxB)x(CxD) = (A.BxD).C-(A.BxC).D

Homework Equations

εіјkεimn = δjmδkn – δjnδkm (where δij = +1 when i = j and 0 when i ≠ j)

The Attempt at a Solution

if E = (AxB) then Ei = εіјkAjBk, and
if F = (CxD) then Fm = εimnCnDi

from this point I'm a little confused as I'm not sure if I have to find the cross product of (ExF) using the summation notation, or if I can now relate these via the Kroenecker delta relationship given. I feel I am missing a step as there are 3 cross product relationships and I would greatly appreciate some help here as the only examples I can track down deal with 2 cross product relationships.

Thanks very much in advance
PS
Apologies for the the lack of proper subscripts but that's a problem for another day

Physics news on Phys.org
You should use unique letters for the indices to avoid confusion. Right now you have i appearing in the expressions for both E and F.

[tex]\begin{align*}
E_q & = \varepsilon_{qjk}A_j B_k \\
F_r & = \varepsilon_{rmn}C_m D_n \\
(E \times F)_p &= \varepsilon_{pqr} E_q F_r = \varepsilon_{pqr} (\varepsilon_{qjk}A_j B_k) (\varepsilon_{rmn}C_m D_n)
\end{align*}
[/tex]

In the last line, you have a product of two Levi-Civita symbols with a common index, which allows you to write the product it in terms of the delta functions.

Thank you Vela for your help with this it is very much appreciated as this is my first exposure to the power of the permutation tensor. I was wondering if you could answer one final stupid question on this if you have the time as I'm not sure whether to multiply out of the brackets separately using the 3rd tensor or to multiply one and then the other. I will continue to read on this but if you could help further then I would once again be in your debt.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. What do you have so far?

Hi Vela,

When I multiply out the brackets I get the following (please forgive my not having LaTeX):

EpqrEqjkAjBk + EpqrErmnCnDn

If I then cycle the subscripts Epqr becomes Eqrp and the other Epqr becomes Erpq:

EqrpEqjkAjBk + ErpqErmnCnDn

This, hopefully, let's me use the epsilon/delta (I'm using 6 as delta) relationship to give:

6rj6pk - 6rk6pj(AjBk) + 6pm6qn - 6pn6qm(CnDn)

I'm not convinced I've handled these next steps properly and have strayed down a cul-de-sac from which I can't escape, but feel I have made some elementary errors. Sorry to be a pain but if you could possibly point out the error of my ways it would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart
PS
Apologies for the delay in responding to you but Scotland is struggling in the grip of an unusually powerful winter

What you wrote would be equal to [itex]\varepsilon_{pqr} (\varepsilon_{qjk}A_j B_k + \varepsilon_{rmn}C_m D_n)[/itex], not (ExF)p. Try again without inserting the extra addition.

1. What is a permutation tensor?

A permutation tensor is a mathematical object that represents the properties of a permutation, which is a reordering of a set of elements. It is typically denoted by the symbol ε and has a value of 1 if the permutation is even and -1 if the permutation is odd.

2. How is the permutation tensor used in proving vector identities?

The permutation tensor is used in conjunction with the Kronecker delta, which is a mathematical object that represents the identity of a vector. By using these two objects, we can manipulate and simplify vector equations in order to prove vector identities.

3. What is the role of the Kronecker delta in proving vector identities?

The Kronecker delta, typically denoted by the symbol δ, represents the identity of a vector. It has a value of 1 if the components of a vector are equal and 0 if they are not equal. It is used in conjunction with the permutation tensor to simplify vector equations and prove identities.

4. Can the permutation tensor and Kronecker delta be used to prove any vector identity?

Yes, the permutation tensor and Kronecker delta can be used to prove any vector identity. This is because they allow for the manipulation and simplification of vector equations, which is essential in proving identities.

5. What are some common applications of using the permutation tensor and Kronecker delta in vector identities?

Some common applications include proving identities in physics, such as in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, as well as in engineering, such as in fluid dynamics and mechanics. These objects are also used in computer graphics and computer vision for vector manipulation and transformation.