PSA - E-Bike/Scooter Li Battery Fires

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scooter
In summary: In these cases, a Class D fire extinguisher should be used, as they’re specifically designed to fight fires involving metal in combustion.This is weird; what does this mean?Any lithium battery can shoot out flames.This is weird; what does this mean?
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award

How E-Bike Battery Fires Became a Deadly Crisis in New York City​

https://www.yahoo.com/news/e-bike-battery-fires-became-120807964.html

Do not bring Li batteries into an apartment or occupied structure. They should be stored in non-flammable structures, either metal, brick or cement/concrete.

Alfonso Villa Muñoz was intrigued. He was working in a Brooklyn bodega last August when a delivery man said he knew someone selling one for $700. Muñoz said yes.

The scooter was cherry red with the number 7 on the front. Under the seat was an extra-large lithium ion battery. When it needed charging, Muñoz would remove the battery from the scooter and use both hands to lug it up to the couple’s third-floor apartment in College Point, Queens.

A month later, the battery exploded in the living room, unleashing flames that engulfed the apartment. Muñoz screamed for their 8-year-old daughter, Stephanie, who was asleep. He could not breach the wall of black smoke to get to her. Stephanie died from smoke inhalation.

Don't overcharge batteries.

Know what to do if one catches fire.

Keep them away from flammable materials.

Make sure the batteries are not counterfeit.

Be cautious of used or damaged batteries.

• Informative
Likes Rive, Klystron, berkeman and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Know what to do if one catches fire.
What is the procedure? I haven't been trained on this fire source yet...

Likes BillTre
Best to cover it with a metal pot. Don't use water on large batteries, which might react chemically to produce hydrogen gas, which would be worse.

I have to do some research. Apparently 'small' Li-ion batteries can be dropped into a pot/bucket water.

Large Li-ion batteries, such as those used in vehicles apparently require a foam or dry extinguisher, e.g., ABC, D, CO2, or other powder.

One sites recommends:
  • Small lithium-ion batteries can be doused with water because they contain little lithium metal. Lithium-metal battery fires can be put out with a Class D fire extinguisher.
  • Larger battery fires are best handled with a foam extinguisher, CO2, ABC dry chemical, powder graphite, copper powder or sodium carbonate.
https://www.storen.tech/post/why-lithium-batteries-catch-fire-and-what-to-do

This seems to conflict with
Despite their name, lithium-ion batteries used in consumer products do not contain any lithium metal. Therefore, a Class D fire extinguisher is not to be used to fight a lithium-ion battery fire. Class D fire extinguishers, which contain dry powder, are intended for combustible metal fires only. Since lithium-ion batteries aren’t made with metallic lithium, a Class D dry powder extinguisher would not be effective.

So, how do you choose the right fire extinguisher in this scenario? Lithium-ion batteries are considered a Class B fire, so a standard ABC or dry chemical fire extinguisher should be used. Class B is the classification given to flammable liquids. Lithium-ion batteries contain liquid electrolytes that provide a conductive pathway, so the batteries receive a Class B fire classification.

I'll have to cross check with other sources. There seem to be some conflicts among sources.

About Li-ion Batteries (LiBs).
https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/13/19/5117

Not about fire extinguisher, but safety tips and potential dangers of Li batteries.
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/fdny/downloads/pdf/codes/dangers-of-lithium-ion-batteries.pdf

Astronuc said:
This seems to conflict with
This is weird; what does this mean?
Despite their name, lithium-ion batteries used in consumer products do not contain any lithium metal.

berkeman said:
Yeah, I read that as well. It doesn't make sense, so I wonder about the source.

Perhaps they mean does not contain Li metal, but it could contain a Li compound and/or Li electrolyte.

Likes russ_watters, BillTre and berkeman
AFAIK this is true of all lithium batteries.

Hornbein said:
AFAIK this is true of all lithium batteries.
Which what this?

berkeman said:
Which what this?
Any lithium battery can shoot out flames.

berkeman said:

Astronuc said:
Yeah, I read that as well. It doesn't make sense, so I wonder about the source.

Perhaps they mean does not contain Li metal, but it could contain a Li compound and/or Li electrolyte.

Lithium ion batteries generally refer to batteries where the anode is graphite and the cathode is a layered cobalt oxide (or something similar), and they’re separated by a liquid electrolyte solution (usually a lithium salt dissolved in something like ethylene carbonate). Upon charging, the lithium ions intercalate in the graphite, and upon discharging, they migrate to intercalate in the metal oxide.

Lithium batteries (without the word “ion”) are generally understood to actually contain lithium metal as the anode.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, Bandersnatch, Tom.G and 2 others

1. What causes e-bike/scooter Li battery fires?

The most common cause of e-bike/scooter Li battery fires is thermal runaway, which occurs when the battery overheats and the chemical reactions inside the battery become uncontrollable. This can be triggered by factors such as overcharging, physical damage, or manufacturing defects.

2. How can I prevent Li battery fires in my e-bike/scooter?

To prevent Li battery fires, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for charging and storing the battery. Avoid overcharging the battery and do not leave it charging unattended for long periods of time. It is also important to regularly inspect the battery for any signs of damage or wear and tear.

3. Are all e-bike/scooter Li batteries at risk of catching fire?

No, not all e-bike/scooter Li batteries are at risk of catching fire. The risk of a fire depends on various factors such as the quality of the battery, how it is used and maintained, and the environment it is used in. It is important to purchase high-quality batteries from reputable manufacturers to reduce the risk of a fire.

4. What should I do if my e-bike/scooter Li battery catches fire?

If your e-bike/scooter Li battery catches fire, it is important to stay calm and immediately move away from the battery. Do not try to extinguish the fire with water, as this can make it worse. Call emergency services and let them handle the situation.

5. Are there any regulations or safety standards for e-bike/scooter Li batteries?

Yes, there are regulations and safety standards in place for e-bike/scooter Li batteries. In the United States, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has regulations and safety standards for lithium-ion batteries used in consumer products. It is important to check that the battery you are purchasing meets these standards to ensure its safety.

Back