Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PSC, current and Node Voltage Analysis

1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    First off, I apologize if this belongs under homework help. It’s kind of a grey area I suppose...

Anyway, I just finished my linear circuits midterm. One of the questions on the midterm had a circuit we needed to solve using node analysis. That’s not the question, though. I’ve crudely redrawn the circuit:
    Circuit.png
    I forgot to draw on the common node, but it’s the bottom one.

Now I thought, due to the passive sign convention, that ib would be equal to -v2, since ib is in the direction of a voltage rise (v=-bR == v2=-ib). The thing is though, ib=-v2 gives really ugly fractional results and ib=v2 gives really nice integer results. Also, the one person I’ve talked to so far said that ib=v2.

I may have gotten one or two of the resistors wrong redrawing it, but I know for a fact that the v2 to ground resistor was 1Ω.

So anyway, what is correct? (and if you could point out where I went wrong, that’d be great too =P)Usually the only things I get wrong are mathematical errors, but when it’s something fundamental like this I like to take a step back and make sure I have my concepts right. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

As drawn, -iB * 1 Ohm = V2.

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    Yeah, that’s what I thought. (obviously)

I guess we’ll see what happens when I get my midterm back...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook