Pseudo frequency? Related to phase shift

In summary, The book explains that MRI works by using a uniform magnetic field to make particles with nuclei precess at the same frequency, but with a phase difference. The MRI then encodes this phase difference into a pseudo-frequency to determine the origin of each particle. The phase difference is determined by the differences in distance from the nuclei to the antenna, which causes a slight shift in frequency when a field gradient is applied. This results in a basic frequency shift of parts per million.
nomisme
I am reading a text about how MRI works and I came across a thing that I am totally confused.

The book mentions about that few particles side by side with their nuclei spinning at the same frequency but they all have a phase difference. Since MRI cannot measure the phase differences directly, it will try to encode the phase differences in term of so called pseudo-frequency. With each unique pseudo frequency the MRI will know where that particle coming from.

The thing I am confused is how can each nuclei share a common frequency yet they have a different frequency due to their phase differences?

Am I misunderstanding something?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the phase difference you are referring to is determined by the differences in distance from the nuclei to the antenna.

They precess at the same frequency in a uniform magnetic field. Once a field gradient is applied, their frequencies differ slightly depending on position. The gradient means that the applied field changes a little bit, linearly with position. This results in the basic frequency being shifted, typically, by parts per million.

What is pseudo frequency?

Pseudo frequency refers to a frequency that is not a true or actual frequency, but rather an artificial or virtual frequency that is used in certain mathematical calculations or models.

How is pseudo frequency related to phase shift?

Pseudo frequency is often used in the context of phase shift calculations, where it is used to represent the frequency at which a phase shift occurs. In these calculations, the pseudo frequency is typically used to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve.

Why is pseudo frequency used instead of actual frequency?

Pseudo frequency is used in situations where the actual frequency may be difficult to determine or is not relevant to the calculation at hand. It allows for simpler and more efficient mathematical calculations while still providing useful information about the phase shift.

Can pseudo frequency be converted to actual frequency?

Yes, pseudo frequency can be converted to actual frequency by using the appropriate conversion formula. However, it is important to note that the resulting actual frequency may not necessarily reflect a physically measurable frequency, but rather a mathematical representation of the pseudo frequency.

Are there any limitations to using pseudo frequency?

While pseudo frequency can be useful in certain calculations, it is important to note that it is an artificial concept and may not accurately reflect real-world phenomena. Additionally, using pseudo frequency may limit the accuracy of the results obtained, so it should be used with caution and in appropriate situations.