1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Public University

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    I just got accepted in a public university (SIUC), does it make a difference when you apply for a job or masters? Do people from the top universities get an advantage or somethin??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2007 #2
    Many top universities are public universities.

4. Dec 11, 2007 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can get a world-class education from many public schools, and a terrible education from many private schools. The public vs. private issue really shouldn't even be a concern for you in your selection of schools, as long as the finances work out.

- Warren

5. Dec 12, 2007 #4
    Suppose I apply for my masters in say MIT or some school like that, will they look at which school I graduated from???

6. Dec 12, 2007 #5

stewartcs

Science Advisor

They may look at it, but probably won't put much (if any) weight to it.

The main things are your letters of recommendation (assuming you have reasonable grades relative to graduate schools).

7. Dec 12, 2007 #6
    School is sort of a tiebreaker. If there are two candidates, one from MIT and one from SIUC and everything else is equal, yeah, the decision will go to the guy from MIT.

"Everything else is equal" just doesn't happen though. And it's your job to make sure of that. :smile:

8. Dec 13, 2007 #7
    Thanks guys just wanted to know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?