Pulley and Mass on an Inclined Ramp

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 20 kg mass being released and a 5 kg mass sliding up a ramp from rest. The string holding the masses together breaks and the question is what the tension of the string is. The conversation also mentions using equations such as Fg=mg, Fnet=Fg1+Fg2+Ff, Fnet=ma, and Fk=(uk)(Fn) to solve the problem. The solution involves finding the weight and components of Fg for both masses and using separate force equations for each mass to determine the tension of the string.
theuniverse

Homework Statement

A 20 kg mass is released, and the 5 kg mass on the ramp slides up the ramp from rest. As soon as the 5 kg mass gets to the end of the ramp, the string breaks down. What's the tension of the string?

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7603/figure1w.th.jpg

Homework Equations

I would use:
Fg=mg
Fnet = Fg1 + Fg2 + Ff
Fnet = ma
Fk = (uk)(Fn)

The question provies distances too, but I am not sure whether I actually need them...

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the weight of both masses using Fg=mg
M1(on ramp) = 49N
M2 (hanging) = 196N

Then I found the components of Fg (and thus Fn), as shown in my diagram.
Fn = 42.4N
Therefore, using Fk = (uk)(Fn), I found the friction to be -11N.

I know that I have to calculate Fnet. So: Fnet = 196N -24.5N +11N = 182.5N
*Note: I am not very sure what sign does the friction have in this problem...

Not sure how to find tension from here... Fnet = Ft + Fgx + Ff?

Thank you for your time,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend that you write separate force equations for each mass, then combine them. For the mass on the incline, consider forces parallel to the incline.

Thanks for replying.
I am not quite sure what you mean by separate force equations for each mass.
And wouldn't Fgx = 24.5N be the force parallel to the incline?

theuniverse said:
I am not quite sure what you mean by separate force equations for each mass.
Consider the forces on mass 1. Apply Newton's 2nd law. Do the same for mass 2.
And wouldn't Fgx = 24.5N be the force parallel to the incline?
That's the component of gravity on mass 1 parallel to the incline, but other forces act on that mass.

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to lift or move heavy objects. It consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable that runs through the groove. When force is applied to one end of the rope, the object on the other end will be lifted or moved. The pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object by distributing the weight over multiple ropes.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its movement on an inclined ramp?

The mass of an object affects its movement on an inclined ramp by determining the amount of force needed to move the object. The greater the mass, the more force is required to move the object. This is because the weight of the object is distributed over a larger surface area on the ramp, making it more difficult to overcome the force of gravity.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the ramp and the force needed to move the object?

The relationship between the angle of the ramp and the force needed to move the object is directly proportional. This means that as the angle of the ramp increases, the force needed to move the object also increases. This is because a steeper angle creates a greater component of the weight of the object that is acting against the direction of movement.

4. How does friction affect the movement of an object on an inclined ramp?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and can affect the movement of an object on an inclined ramp. Friction between the object and the ramp can make it more difficult to move the object, especially on steeper ramps. The type of surface and the weight of the object can also affect the amount of friction present.

5. How can a pulley system be used to move an object up an inclined ramp?

A pulley system can be used to move an object up an inclined ramp by reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object. By using multiple pulleys and ropes, the weight of the object can be distributed and the force needed to lift it can be reduced. This makes it easier to move the object up the ramp, especially if it has a large mass.