1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley Problem - Please give me hand here!

1. Apr 16, 2006 #1
    Here's a pulley problem that has got me stopped; I'd appreciate any help that's offered.

There are two blocks, A (44 N) and B (22 N) connected via a rope that stretches over a pulley. Block A is resting on a table, and block B is hanging over the edge. Block C is positioned on top of Block A.

The question reads: "Given that the coefficient of static friction between Block A and the tabel is 0.20, what is the minimum weight of Block C to keep Block A from sliding off the table?"

(The answer that is given is 66 N, but I can't seem to get this)

I tried starting off with:
    Block A=M=44N Block B=m=22N
    (let F stand for the friction force)
    T-F=Ma and mg-T=ma
    Solving for Tension and setting them equal gives:
    mg-ma=F+Ma
    Rearranging some more and solving for a gives:
    a= (mg-F)/(m + M)
    The Tension on Block A then becomes M(mg-F)/(m + M) = 8.8 N
    So then in order for Block A to resist motion, the Friction between it and the table must be equal to T, so F=T=8.8 .20 * (4.489 + C) * 9.8 = 8.8 but then the mass of C ends up being zero. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Several problems here. One, you are trying to prevent block A from sliding, so the acceleration is zero. Two, you are given the weights of the blocks, not their masses. (22N is a force, not a mass.)

Hint: Since the entire affair is in equilibrium, what must be the tension in the rope?

4. Apr 16, 2006 #3
    Well, in order for Block A *not* to move, the the frictional force on Block A must be equal to the tension right?
    I redid the work for the acceleration and tension.

T = (Mmg + mF) / (M + m) M=4.489 kg m=2.245 kg

The tension (not taking Block C into account yet) is 17.6 N.
    Set this equal to u(M + C) g (the frictional force) and solve for C, and I get a mass of 8.97 kg, so a weight of 88 N, which is still off.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  5. Apr 16, 2006 #4

Doc Al

This is true.

Now answer my question: What's the tension in the rope? If you are looking at the situation correctly, you should be able to answer without doing any calculations.

Hint: The hanging mass is in equilibrium.

6. Apr 17, 2006 #5
    Yes, I think I got it. The tension is equal to the weight of the hanging block (22 N), since hte other block is resting on the table.
    It's in equilibrium, so a=0, so the whole term on that side of the equal sign becomes 0. Then T=mu * m (of Block A and C) * 9.8, then solve for the mass of Block C.

7. Apr 17, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Exactly. But don't waste time finding the masses; you are given the weights (w = mg) and that's all you need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?