Pulley problem (Two masses acting on a third body)

In summary, the teacher said that the tension in the pants is different in the two cases,but the student is still unsure about the answer.
J_Archer
First off,I would like to apologise for not introducing myself.
I have yet to find that certain part of the forum,but if the mistake was on my part,mods please direct me.

Now to go to the real issue.

This is something I've long "gotten over",meaning it was in the introductory lessons in college,I forgot about it,but honestly it never "clicked".

My teacher gave me a real bad explanation.

In the attached picture,the two objects with m=5kg ,are pulling a third object,or to be precise a dynometer.
What amount of force will the dynometer show?

The teachers answer was 50Nm(49.05Nm) ,but somehow the number 98.1Nm is going around my brain.

I don't think I have enough credentials to contradict him,and honestly don't know If I am right,doubt it somehow,but there's this part of my brain that just can't let it go.

So ,if you would be so kind as to give me the correct answer and a good explanation.

Thank you very much.

(Also,I apologise for any technical terms I might have misspelled or missed entirely,English is my second language)

Attachments

• 3rd law.jpg
    3rd law.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.

I gave it a good solid thought for the past hour or so,and gotten to the same conclusion,but was still a bit iffy,this assured me though.

I'm actually a bit ashamed now,strange how sometimes we can't even grasp the simplest of things but yet try to go for the more complex.

Oh well,all a part of the human experience...

EDIT: To elaborate my train of thought,in case someone else might be going through the same konundrum.
Since I expected 49.05Nm from one weight,98.1 was an immediate thought linked to two weights,but it took me an imaginary wall to realize that the weight was,let's put it,all ready there,just in a different form.
And of course then it hit me that I was measuring the force of reaction and not the actual weight.

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the tension in a pulley system with two masses?

In order to calculate the tension in a pulley system with two masses, you need to use the equation T = m1g + m2g, where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This equation assumes that the pulley is frictionless and both masses are hanging vertically.

2. What is the relationship between the masses in a pulley system?

The relationship between the masses in a pulley system is that they are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as one mass increases, the other mass decreases in order to maintain equilibrium in the system. In other words, if one mass goes up, the other goes down.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a system does not affect the mechanical advantage. The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is determined by the number of ropes supporting the load. Each additional rope increases the mechanical advantage by 1. For example, a system with 2 ropes has a mechanical advantage of 2, while a system with 3 ropes has a mechanical advantage of 3.

4. Can the direction of the applied force affect the motion of a pulley system?

Yes, the direction of the applied force can affect the motion of a pulley system. The direction of the force determines the direction of the acceleration of the system. If the force is applied in the same direction as the motion of the system, the system will accelerate. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, the system will decelerate or come to a stop.

5. How does friction affect the tension in a pulley system?

Friction in a pulley system can affect the tension in various ways. If there is friction in the pulley, it can reduce the tension in the rope and cause the system to move slower. If there is friction between the rope and the pulley, it can also cause the rope to stretch and decrease the tension. It is important to minimize friction in order to accurately calculate the tension in a pulley system.