Pulleys + Convex Mirror Reflection

In summary, the question deals with finding the speed of the image of a pulley P when it is at a distance x from a convex mirror with radius of curvature R. The given arrangement involves two pulleys, P1 and P2, moving downward with constant speed vo. The constraint equations for the lengths of the string result in the equation 2vo - vcosθ + (L-xp)sinθ = 0, where v is the velocity of Pulley P and L is the distance of the mirror from the upper fixed support. Using the fact that the horizontal distance is constant, the equation can be differentiated again to eliminate the variable xpsinθ. The distance H in the diagram can be used in its place.
zorro

Homework Statement

In the given arrangement pulley P1 and P2 are moving with constant speed vo downward and the centre of the pulley P lies on the principal axis of a convex mirror having radius of curvature R. Find the speed of image of pulley P when it is at a distance x from the surface of convex mirror in terms of vo, R, x and θ

attachment.php?attachmentid=30928&stc=1&d=1293567001.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is pretty easy but I got stuck at one point.

Using constraint relations,
I got 2vo - vcosθ + (L-xp)sinθ =0
where v is the velocity of Pulley P and L is the distance of the mirror from the upper fixed support.

i.e. v= (2vo + (L-xp)sinθ)/cosθ

This is not the final answer but as per the solution given v = 2vo/cosθ (which is written directly)

Can somebody explain me my mistake?

Thanks

Attachments

• pulley.jpg
    pulley.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Abdul! :smile:
Abdul Quadeer said:
I got 2vo - vcosθ + (L-x)sinθ =0

I don't understand where (L-x)sinθ came from. :confused:

What is your constraint equation for the lengths (not speeds) of the vertical and diagonal bits of string? :wink:

Hi tiny-tim! :smile:

This is my equation in terms of length of the string-

2xp1 + 2xpcosΦ + 2xp2 = Total length of the string,

where Φ = angle at any instant

Now if we consider the change in lengths and differentiate w.r.t time,
The equation reduces to

vp1 - vpcosΦ + xpsinΦ + vp2 = 0
On substituting the values given in the question,
2vo - vcosθ + xpsinθ = 0

I considered all distances from the fixed support. Let the distance of the mirror from the fixed support be L. So distance of the pulley P from the mirror is L - xp (sorry I missed s.s. 'p' earlier).

The above equation reduces to
2vo - vcosθ + (L-xp)sinθ = 0

It'll be easier if you use the fact that the horizontal distance is constant. :smile:

(btw, x1 etc is a lot clearer and easier to write than xp1 :wink:)

Where shall I use that fact?

2xp1 + 2xpcosΦ + 2xp2 = Total length of the string,

Here in xpcosΦ both xp and cosΦ are variables.

That fact would have been useful if
2vo - vcosθ + xpsinθ = 0
was differentiated again so that xpsinθ vanishes

x0/H = … ? :smile:

what is xo and H ? :confused:

uhh? :confused:

dx0/dt = v0, and what do you think H is? :rolleyes:

I am getting confused :uhh:
H might be the distance of the mirror from the support ( I used L for it ).
I still don't understand how xo/H will help :|

Abdul, in the original diagram, L and xp1 were not marked, and you had to write them in.

Sometimes questions are like that.

They don't always spoon-feed you with the information you require.

You need to look at the diagram, find something else you haven't used yet, call it H, and use it.

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It works by changing the direction of the force applied to the rope, allowing for easier lifting or pulling of heavy objects.

2. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and both the load and the effort are shared. A compound pulley is a combination of fixed and movable pulleys, which allows for a greater mechanical advantage.

3. How does a convex mirror reflect light?

A convex mirror is curved outwards, causing light to reflect off its surface and spread outwards. This results in a wider field of view compared to a flat mirror, but objects may appear smaller and distorted.

4. What is the difference between a convex and a concave mirror?

A convex mirror bulges outwards and reflects light outwards, whereas a concave mirror curves inwards and reflects light inwards. This results in a wider field of view with a convex mirror and a magnified image with a concave mirror.

5. What are some real-world applications of pulleys and convex mirrors?

Pulleys are commonly used in lifting heavy objects, such as construction materials or weights in a gym. Convex mirrors are often used in security cameras or as rear-view mirrors in vehicles to provide a wider field of view. They are also used in makeup mirrors to create a magnified image of the face.